Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Michigan man accused of planning synagogue attack indicted by grand jury -GrowthInsight
Johnathan Walker:Michigan man accused of planning synagogue attack indicted by grand jury
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-05 23:35:25
A 19-year-old Michigan man who was arrested earlier this month on Johnathan Walkerallegations that he used social media to discuss plans to attack a synagogue was indicted Wednesday by a federal grand jury.
Seann Patrick Pietila was indicted on two counts of threatening communications in interstate commerce, and one count of threat to kill or injure by means of fire, according to court documents.
The suspect used Instagram to discuss his plans to "commit acts of violence to kill other people," the Justice Department said in a news release, adding that he posted Instagram messages which were antisemitic, expressed neo-Nazi ideology and praised mass shooters.
Pietila was arrested by FBI agents on June 16, three days after federal investigators were alerted to his online activity. According to previous court documents, following his arrest, investigators searched his phone and found a note referencing Shaarey Zedek, a synagogue in East Lansing, Michigan.
They also found the date, March 15, 2024, which was an apparent reference to the deadly New Zealand mass shooting that occurred on March 15, 2019, court documents said. Also discovered on the phone was a list of equipment, including pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails and firearms.
When investigators searched his home, they found a 12-gauge shotgun, ammunition, several knives, tactical vests and a Nazi flag, court documents stated.
If convicted as charged, he faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison for the charge of threatening communications in interstate commerce, and five years for the charge of threat to kill or injure by means of fire.
"No one should face violent threats because of their race, ethnicity, religion, or any other status," Mark Totten, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Michigan, said in a statement. "We have seen a rise in antisemitism across the nation and here in Michigan, and my office is committed to using all our powers to protect the public and ensure accountability."
In a report released in March, the Anti-Defamation League found that the number of antisemitic incidents in the U.S. rose 36% in 2022 compared to the year before.
Earlier this month, a 50-year-old man was found guilty on 63 criminal counts in a 2018 shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue which killed 11 people, the deadliest antisemitic attack in U.S. history.
— Cara Tabachnick, Robert Legare and Jordan Freiman contributed to this report.
- In:
- East Lansing
- Antisemitism
- Hate Crime
- Michigan
veryGood! (8556)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Why Quinta Brunson Compares Being Picked Up by Jason Kelce to Disney Ride
- Kristin Cavallari Details Alleged Psycho Stalker Incident
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs abuse allegations: A timeline of key events
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Some older Frigidaire and Kenmore ranges pose risk of fires and burn injuries, Electrolux warns
- Morehouse College prepares for Biden's commencement address
- Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan Reveals the Surprising Way She Learned About Lady Whistledown Twist
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- The deadline to file for a piece of Apple's $35 million settlement with some iPhone 7 users is approaching. Here's who qualifies.
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Kansas City Chiefs' Wanya Morris and Chukwuebuka Godrick Arrested for Marijuana Possession
- There's a surprising reason why many schools don't have a single Black teacher
- California mom accused of punching newborn son, leaving him with 16 broken bones
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan Reveals the Surprising Way She Learned About Lady Whistledown Twist
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott gave few pardons before rushing to clear Army officer who killed a protester
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Are Living Apart Amid Breakup Rumors
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Man wins $362,000 while celebrating 21st birthday at Las Vegas casino
What Louisville police claim happened with Scottie Scheffler: Read arrest report details
Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan Reveals the Surprising Way She Learned About Lady Whistledown Twist
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
NHL Stanley Cup playoffs 2024: Scores, schedule, times, TV for conference finals games
Where Is the Parenthood Cast Now?
Sean 'Diddy' Combs seen hitting and dragging ex Cassie Ventura in 2016 surveillance video