Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Mexico offers escorted rides north from southern Mexico for migrants with US asylum appointments -GrowthInsight
Indexbit Exchange:Mexico offers escorted rides north from southern Mexico for migrants with US asylum appointments
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 02:03:16
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico will offer escorted bus rides from southern Mexico to the U.S. border for non-Mexican migrants who have Indexbit Exchangereceived a United States asylum appointment, the government announced Saturday.
The National Immigration Institute said the buses will leave from the southern cities of Villahermosa and Tapachula. It appeared to be an attempt to make applying for asylum appointments from southern Mexico more attractive to migrants who otherwise would push north to Mexico City or the border.
The announcement came a week after the U.S. government expanded access to the CBP One application to southern Mexico. Access to the app, which allows asylum seekers to register and await an appointment, had previously been restricted to central and northern Mexico.
The Mexican government wants more migrants to wait in southern Mexico farther from the U.S. border. Migrants typically complain there is little work available in southern Mexico for a wait that can last months. Many carry debts for their trip and feel pressure to work.
The migrants who avail themselves of the buses will also receive a 20-day transit permit allowing them legal passage across Mexico, the institute’s statement said.
Previously, Mexican authorities said they would respect migrants who showed that they had a scheduled asylum appointment at the border, but some migrants reported being swept up at checkpoints and shipped back south, forced to miss their appointments.
Local, state and federal law enforcement will provide security for the buses and meals will be provided during transit, the institute said.
The rides could also help discourage some migrants from making the arduous journey north on foot. Three migrants were killed and 17 injured this week when a vehicle barrelled into them on a highway in the southern state of Oaxaca.
Mexico had pressured the United States to expand CBP One access in part to alleviate the build up of migrants in Mexico City. Many migrants had opted over the past year to wait for their appointments in Mexico City where there was more work available and comparatively more security than the cartel-controlled border cities.
Those with the resources buy plane tickets to the border crossing point where their appointments are scheduled to reduce the risk of being snagged by Mexican authorities or by the cartels, which abduct and ransom migrants.
veryGood! (3953)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Tennessee Senate advances nearly $2 billion business tax cut, refund to prevent lawsuit
- Pennsylvania house fire kills man, 4 children as 3 other family members are rescued
- Beyoncé will receive the Innovator Award at the 2024 iHeartRadio Music Awards
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- You Only Have One Day To Shop These Insane Walmart Deals Before They're Gone
- Evers vetoes Republican election bills, signs sales tax exemption for precious metals
- Review: '3 Body Problem' is way more than 'Game of Thrones' with aliens
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Road House' revisited: How Jake Gyllenhaal remake compares to Patrick Swayze cult classic
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Broadway star Sonya Balsara born to play Princess Jasmine in 'Aladdin' on its 10th anniversary
- Drake Bell defends former Nickelodeon co-star Josh Peck following Brian Peck allegations
- Hermes lawsuit claims luxury retailer reserves its famed Birkin bags only for its biggest spenders
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Unlock the full potential of Google: Image and video search secrets revealed!
- Beyoncé will receive the Innovator Award at the 2024 iHeartRadio Music Awards
- A Palestinian boy is shot dead after he lit a firework. Israel’s use of deadly force is scrutinized
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Kia recalls 48,232 EV6 hybrid vehicles: See if yours is on the list
Ariana Grande, Ethan Slater and the Entire Wicked Cast Stun in New Photos
About 70 dogs killed after 'puppy mill' bursts into flames in Ohio, reports say
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Wisconsin GOP leader says Trump backers seeking to recall him don’t have enough signatures
Scott Boras addresses frustrating offseason of unsigned high-profile baseball players
One of the last remaining Pearl Harbor attack survivors, Richard Dick Higgins, has died at 102