Current:Home > MyFormer CEO at center of fake Basquiats scandal countersues museum, claiming he is being scapegoated -GrowthInsight
Former CEO at center of fake Basquiats scandal countersues museum, claiming he is being scapegoated
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 15:08:07
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A former executive director of a Florida museum that was raided last year by the FBI over an exhibit of what turned out to be forged Jean-Michel Basquiat paintings filed counterclaims Tuesday against the museum, claiming wrongful termination and defamation. The countersuit comes months after the institution sued him and others over the scandal.
Former CEO Aaron De Groft said in court papers in Orlando, Florida, that the board chairwoman and outside lawyers for the Orlando Museum of Art had signed off on the exhibit, even after the FBI had subpoenaed the museum’s records over the exhibit in July 2021.
De Groft said he was being made a scapegoat and that the museum’s lawsuit against him was a public relations stunt to save face and make him “the fall guy.” De Groft was fired in June 2022 after the FBI raid.
After reviewing documents and interviewing De Groft and other staff members, the outside lawyers told the executive director and chairwoman that there was no reason to pull the plug on the exhibit, as did FBI investigators, De Groft said in court papers filed in state court.
“These two statements fortified Defendant’s belief that the 25 paintings were authentic Basquiats,” said the former museum CEO.
De Groft is seeking more than $50,000 for wrongful termination, defamation and breach of contract.
An email seeking comment was sent Tuesday evening to a spokeswoman for the Orlando Museum of Art.
In the museum’s fraud, breach of contract and conspiracy lawsuit against De Groft and others, the institution claims its reputation was left in tatters, and it was put on probation by the American Alliance of Museums.
Basquiat, who lived and worked in New York City, found success in the 1980s as part of the neo-Expressionism movement. The Orlando Museum of Art was the first institution to display the more than two dozen artworks said to have been found in an old storage locker decades after Basquiat’s 1988 death from a drug overdose at age 27.
Questions about the artworks’ authenticity arose almost immediately after their reported discovery in 2012. The artwork was purportedly made in 1982, but experts have pointed out that the cardboard used in at least one of the pieces included FedEx typeface that wasn’t used until 1994, about six years after Basquiat died, according to the federal warrant from the museum raid.
Also, television writer Thad Mumford, the owner of the storage locker where the art was eventually found, told investigators that he had never owned any Basquiat art and that the pieces were not in the unit the last time he had visited. Mumford died in 2018.
In April, former Los Angeles auctioneer Michael Barzman agreed to plead guilty to federal charges of making false statements to the FBI, admitting that he and an accomplice had created the fake artwork and falsely attributed the paintings to Basquiat.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on X, formerly known as Twitter: @MikeSchneiderAP.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Naomi Campbell Shares Rare Insight Into Life as a Mom of Two
- Kelsea Ballerini Says She Feels Supported and Seen by Boyfriend Chase Stokes
- How an obscure law about government secrets known as CIPA could shape the Trump documents trial
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Ron Rivera's hot seat still sizzles, but Commanders reset gives new lease on coaching life
- Jordan Love efficient but deep ball needs work in Packers' preseason win vs. the Bengals
- Mick Fleetwood says his restaurant has been lost in Maui wildfires: We are heartbroken
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Kyle Richards, country singer Morgan Wade star in sexy new video for 'Fall In Love With Me'
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Vanderpump Rules' Tom Sandoval Breaks Silence on Rumored New Girl Tii
- Dwyane Wade shares secret of his post-NBA success on eve of Hall of Fame induction
- Mishmash of how US heat death are counted complicates efforts to keep people safe as Earth warms
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Former FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried ordered to jail after judge revokes his bail
- Police: New York inmate used bed sheets to escape from hospital's 5th floor
- Jennifer Hudson's 14-Year-Old Son David Looks All Grown Up in Birthday Video
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Beyoncé, Taylor Swift fans have boosted Uber demand as both artists tour across the U.S.
Illinois Supreme Court upholds state’s ban on semiautomatic weapons
What is the birthstone for September? Learn more about the gem's symbolism, history and more.
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Chrishell Stause Responds to Fans Who Still Ship Her With Ex Jason Oppenheim
What did a small-town family do with a $1.586 billion Powerball win?
Prosecutors decline to charge officer who shot and wounded autistic Utah teenager