Current:Home > MarketsDigging to rescue 41 workers trapped in a collapsed tunnel in India halted after machine breaks -GrowthInsight
Digging to rescue 41 workers trapped in a collapsed tunnel in India halted after machine breaks
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-05 23:32:59
NEW DELHI (AP) — Attempts to reach 41 construction workers stuck in a collapsed tunnel in northern India for two weeks were again stymied Saturday.
The drilling machine broke down late Friday while making its way through the rubble, stones and metal, forcing the rescuers to work by hand to remove debris in hopes of reaching the stranded workers, but the whole operation has ground to a halt.
Arnold Dix, an international expert assisting the rescue team at the site in the mountainous Uttarakhand state, said that it was unclear when the drilling will start again.
“The machine is busted. It is irreparable,” he told reporters. “The mountain has once again resisted the auger (machine).”
Dix said the rescuers would need to pull out the entire drilling machine and replace it to restart the digging. He didn’t specify how much time that it would take.
EARLIER COVERAGE Rescuers in India trying to evacuate 41 workers from a collapsed tunnel are delayed again
The workers have been trapped since Nov. 12 when a landslide caused a portion of the 4.5-kilometer (2.8-mile) tunnel they were building to collapse about 200 meters (650 feet) from the entrance. The mountainous terrain in the area has proven to be a challenge for the drilling machine, which had earlier broken twice as rescue teams attempted to dig horizontally toward the trapped workers.
The machine stopped working after it had drilled about two meters (6.5 feet) of the last stretch of 12 meters (40 feet) of rock debris that would open a passage for the workers to come out from the tunnel.
Rescuers have inserted pipes into the dug-out channel and welded them together to serve as a passageway from where the men would be pulled out on wheeled stretchers. About 46 meters (151 feet) of pipe has been put in so far, according to Devendra Patwal, a disaster management officer.
Meanwhile, a new drilling machine used to dig vertically was brought to the site Saturday.
The vertical dig is seen as an alternative plan to reach the trapped men, and rescuers have already created an access road to the top of the hill. However, rescue teams will need to dig 103 meters (338 feet) downward to reach the trapped workers — nearly double the distance of the horizontal shaft.
Authorities have supplied the trapped workers with hot meals made of rice and lentils through a six-inch (15-centimeter) pipe after days when they survived on dry food sent through a narrower pipe. Oxygen is being supplied through a separate pipe, and more than a dozen doctors, including psychiatrists, have been at the site monitoring their health.
Most of the trapped workers are migrant laborers from across the country. Many of their families have traveled to the location, where they have camped out for days to get updates on the rescue effort and in hopes of seeing their relatives soon.
The tunnel the workers were building was designed as part of the Chardham all-weather road, which will connect various Hindu pilgrimage sites. Some experts say the project, a flagship initiative of the federal government, will exacerbate fragile conditions in the upper Himalayas, where several towns are built atop landslide debris.
Large numbers of pilgrims and tourists visit Uttarakhand’s many Hindu temples, with the number increasing over the years because of the continued construction of buildings and roadways.
veryGood! (898)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- 'Hillbilly Elegy' director Ron Howard 'concerned' by Trump and Vance campaign rhetoric
- Missing California woman found alive after 12 days in the wilderness
- Ex-employees of Titanic submersible’s owner to testify before Coast Guard panel
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s Son Pax Shows Facial Scars in First Red Carpet Since Bike Accident
- Ram 1500s, Jeep Wranglers, Jeep Gladiators among 1.2 million vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- The Daily Money: All mortgages are not created equal
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Calais Campbell says he was handcuffed, trying to defuse Tyreek Hill detainment
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Jessica Hagedorn, R.F. Kuang among winners of American Book Awards, which celebrate multiculturalism
- US Open champ Jannik Sinner is a young man in a hurry. He is 23, is No. 1 and has 2 Slam titles
- Big Cities Disrupt the Atmosphere, Often Generating More Rainfall, But Can Also Have a Drying Effect
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Red Lobster launches Cheddar Bay 2024 campaign; free Red Lobster for 4 years up for grabs
- New York site chosen for factory to build high-speed trains for Las Vegas-California line
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s Son Pax Shows Facial Scars in First Red Carpet Since Bike Accident
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
She ate a poppy seed salad just before giving birth. Then they took her baby away.
Judge orders psychological evaluation for white homeowner who shot Ralph Yarl
Kathy Bates announces retirement after 'Matlock' reboot: 'It's exhausting'
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Women settle lawsuits after Yale fertility nurse switched painkiller for saline
Sky's Angel Reese to have wrist surgery Tuesday, be in cast for six weeks
Orlando Bloom says dramatic weight loss for 'The Cut' role made him 'very hangry'