Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers -GrowthInsight
Surpassing:Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 13:34:23
Fox News is Surpassingrevamping its prime-time lineup amid a recent ratings decline triggered by the ouster of Tucker Carlson in April.
The new schedule puts Jesse Watters Primetime in Carlson's old 8 p.m. slot, with Watters also to remain a co-host on The Five. Laura Ingraham's The Ingraham Angle will shift from 10 p.m. to 7 p.m., while Sean Hannity's Hannity will remain at 9 p.m. Gutfeld!, hosted by conservative comedian Greg Gutfeld, will move to 10 p.m.
In addition, the 11 p.m. hour will now be the home to Fox News @ Night, anchored by Trace Gallagher.
"Fox News Channel has been America's destination for news and analysis for more than 21 years and we are thrilled to debut a new lineup," Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott said in a statement. "The unique perspectives of Laura Ingraham, Jesse Watters, Sean Hannity, and Greg Gutfeld will ensure our viewers have access to unrivaled coverage from our best-in-class team for years to come."
The new lineup takes effect July 17.
The Rupert Murdoch-owned news network yanked Carlson off the air after settling a massive defamation lawsuit with Dominion Voting Systems for $787.5 million over the network's airing of bogus claims of election fraud in the 2020 presidential election. Fox News and Carlson have also been sued for a hostile work environment by a former senior producer who alleged his show was rife with bigotry and sexism.
The conservative provocateur became a star at the network by spewing xenophobic and often hateful rhetoric that appeals to the far right. More recently he amassed an even greater following by claiming that the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol was harmless and also simultaneously arranged by antifa and the FBI.
Watters, who first joined the news network in 2002 as a production assistant, is also no stranger to controversy. He was one of several right-wing media personalities who have promoted the false narrative that drag is a left-wing plot to sexualize children. Following the mass shooting at Colorado's Club Q last year, Watters falsely said drag shows were designed to "change the mainstream opinion of fringe sexual activity, including, but not limited to, sex with children."
He also received blowback after urging young conservatives to "ambush" the nation's former top infectious disease expert, Anthony Fauci, and "go in for the kill shot."
Despite his dismissal from Fox News, Carlson is still under contract with the network, which says he is not allowed to launch a competing show until his contract ends in early 2025.
But that hasn't stopped him from starting a new one anyway. Earlier this month, he premiered Tucker on Twitter, short 10 to 15 minute long videos that are more monologue than talk show.
Fox News has sent Carlson a cease and desist letter saying he is in violation of his deal.
veryGood! (17)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Russia’s foreign minister rejects a US proposal to resume talks on nuclear arms control
- 3 people killed and baby injured in Portland, Oregon, when power line falls on car during storm
- Man sentenced to 3 years of probation for making threatening call to US House member
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- German parliament approves legislation easing deportations of rejected asylum seekers
- What to know about the Justice Department’s report on police failures in the Uvalde school shooting
- A Common Fishing Practice Called Bottom Trawling Releases Significant Amounts of CO2 Into Earth’s Atmosphere
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division wants to issue electronic driver’s licenses and ID cards
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- A Russian border city cancels Orthodox Epiphany events due to threats of Ukrainian attacks
- 7 giant tortoises found dead in U.K. forest, sparking police appeal for info to solve the mystery
- Rhea Perlman, Danny DeVito and when couples stay married long after they've split
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Star-studded breakaway Cuban baseball team celebrates its union, even without a place to play
- Schools set to pay at least $200 million in buyouts to hire and fire college football coaches
- Fan’s racist abuse of match official leads to 1-point deduction for French soccer club Bastia
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Two officers shot, man killed by police in gunfire exchange at Miami home, officials say
I’m a Croc Hater–But These Viral TikTok Croc Boots & More New Styles Are Making Me Reconsider
‘Stop Cop City’ attacks have caused costs to rise for Atlanta police training center, officials say
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Prince William visits his wife, Kate, in hospital after her abdominal surgery
More than 300 journalists around the world imprisoned because of their work, report says
Miami tight end Cam McCormick granted ninth season of playing college football