Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|4 NHL players charged with sexual assault in 2018 case, lawyers say -GrowthInsight
Chainkeen|4 NHL players charged with sexual assault in 2018 case, lawyers say
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 14:45:00
NHL players Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers,Chainkeen Michael McLeod and Cal Foote of the New Jersey Devils and Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames have been charged with sexual assault in connection with an alleged assault by several members of Canada's 2018 world junior team.
Attorneys representing Hart, McLeod, Foote and Dube said Tuesday that each player has been charged with sexual assault by police in London, Ontario. They denied any wrongdoing on behalf of their clients.
Hart's lawyers, Megan Savard and Riaz Sayani, said their client is facing one count of sexual assault, adding, "He is innocent and will provide a full response to this false accusation in the proper forum, a court of law."
"[McLeod] will be pleading not guilty and will vigorously defend the case," attorneys David Humphrey and Seth Weinstein said in a statement. "We ask that the public respect Mr. McLeod's privacy, and his family's privacy. Because the matter is now before the court, we will not comment further at this time."
Dube's lawyers, Louis Strezos and Kayleigh Davidson said he "maintains his innocence (and) will defend the allegations in court."
Messages sent to the Devils and Flames seeking comment were not immediately returned.
The latest developments come two days after former NHL player Alex Formenton surrendered to police to face charges, according to one of his lawyers. Attorney Daniel Brown also said Formenton is innocent "and asks that people not rush to judgment without hearing all of the evidence."
Five players from Canada's 2018 world junior team — McLeod, Dube, Formenton, Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers and Cal Foote of the Devils — have taken leaves from their current clubs. Agents for all five players have not spoken publicly.
London Police have scheduled a news conference for Monday to address the situation. Asked about a report from Canadian network TSN on Tuesday naming those five players as the ones facing sexual assault charges, a spokesperson for police told The Associated Press by email no updates on the investigation will be provided before the news conference.
The Devils did not give a reason last week when announcing McLeod and Foote were granted indefinite leaves of absence. McLeod, who turns 26 on Saturday, is in the middle of his fourth full season with the team.
The Flames said Dube was on indefinite leave to tend to his mental health. The 25-year-old has played in the NHL with Calgary since 2018.
London police launched an investigation in 2022 after it was disclosed that Hockey Canada had settled a lawsuit with a woman who said she was sexually assaulted by eight members of that gold medal-winning team at a gala. London is approximately halfway between Toronto and Detroit.
The NHL opened its own investigation in 2022 and has pledged to make those findings public. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly last week said the league would issue a statement if and when it is appropriate
- In:
- Devils
- Calgary Flames
- Canada
veryGood! (328)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Why Russell Brand Says Time of Katy Perry Marriage Was Chaotic Despite His Affection for Her
- Worker injured as explosion at Texas paint plant sends fireballs into sky
- Bankruptcy becomes official for Yellow freight company; trucking firm going out of business
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Powerball jackpot grows to $145 million. See winning numbers for Aug. 7.
- There's money in Magic: The booming business of rare game cards
- Once Colombia’s most-wanted drug lord, the kingpin known as Otoniel faces sentencing in US
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Researchers create plastic alternative that's compostable in home and industrial settings
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Security guard on trial for 2018 on-duty fatal shot in reaction to gun fight by Nashville restaurant
- Carson Wentz posts photos training in 'alternate uniform' featuring three NFL teams
- A year after a Russian missile took her leg, a young Ukrainian gymnast endures
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Book excerpt: After the Funeral and Other Stories by Tessa Hadley
- Arrest warrants issued after boaters attack dock employee at Montgomery riverbank
- Elon Musk is banking on his 'everything app.' But will it work?
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
DC area braces for destructive evening storms, hail and tornadoes
Powerball jackpot grows to $145 million. See winning numbers for Aug. 7.
Woman arrested in plot to assassinate Zelenskyy, Ukraine says
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Lecturers in the UK refuse to mark exams in labor dispute, leaving thousands unable to graduate
Cost of Missouri abortion-rights petition challenged in court again
Bursting ice dam in Alaska highlights risks of glacial flooding around the globe