Current:Home > InvestRussia accuses Ukraine’s Western allies of helping attack its Black Sea Fleet headquarters -GrowthInsight
Russia accuses Ukraine’s Western allies of helping attack its Black Sea Fleet headquarters
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:21:08
KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Russia on Wednesday accused Ukraine’s Western allies of helping plan and conduct last week’s missile strike on the Black Sea Fleet’s headquarters in annexed Crimea.
“There is no doubt that the attack had been planned in advance using Western intelligence means, NATO satellite assets and reconnaissance planes and was implemented upon of the advice of American and British security agencies and in close coordination with them,” Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said at a briefing.
Moscow has repeatedly claimed that the U.S. and its NATO allies have effectively become involved in the conflict by supplying weapons to Ukraine and providing it with intelligence information and helping plan attacks on Russian facilities.
The accusation came the day after video appeared to show the fleet’s commander, Adm. Viktor Sokolov, was still alive despite Ukraine’s claims — without providing supporting evidence — that he was among 34 officers killed in Friday’s strike on the port city of Sevastopol.
The Crimean Peninsula, which Russia illegally annexed from Ukraine in 2014, has been a frequent target since Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered a full-scale invasion of Ukraine 20 months ago. Crimea has served as the key hub supporting the invasion and has increasingly come under fire by Ukraine.
Ukraine said the strike that put a large hole in the main building of the headquarters had wounded 105 people, though those claims could not independently be verified.
Russia initially said one serviceman was killed but quickly retracted that statement and said the person was missing.
Moscow has provided no further updates and has not commented directly on Sokolov’s status. The Ministry of Defense, however, posted video Tuesday showing Sokolov among other senior officers attending a video conference with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu. Sokolov did not speak in the clip shown.
Ukraine’s Special Operation Forces posted a statement Tuesday saying its sources claimed Sokolov was among the dead, many of whom had not yet been identified. It said it was trying to verify the claim after the video surfaced.
Sokolov was shown speaking to journalists about the Black Fleet’s operations in a video posted on a news channel linked to the Russian Defense Ministry. It wasn’t clear when the video was recorded. The video didn’t contain any mention of the Ukrainian attack on fleet headquarters.
Zakharova’s statements follow comments made Tuesday by Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy head of Russia’s Security Council, who said the arrival American-made Abrams tanks in Ukraine and a U.S. promise to supply an unspecified number of long-range ATACMS missiles would push NATO closer to a direct conflict with Russia.
___
Associated Press journalist Brian Melley in London contributed to this report. ___
For more coverage of the war in Ukraine, visit: https://apnews.com/hub/russia-ukraine
veryGood! (271)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Shawn Mendes and Sabrina Carpenter Leave Miley Cyrus' Album Release Party Together
- See 2023 Oscar Nominees in Their Earliest Roles: Then and Now
- South African pilot finds cobra under seat, makes emergency landing: I kept looking down
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The White House Blamed China For Hacking Microsoft. China Is Pointing Fingers Back
- Marburg virus outbreak: What to know about this lethal cousin of Ebola
- Elizabeth Holmes Promised Miracles By A Finger Prick. Her Fraud Trial Starts Tuesday
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Instagram Apologizes After Removing A Movie Poster Because It Shows A Nipple
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Rihanna, Ana de Armas, Austin Butler and More Score First-Ever Oscar Nominations
- Elevate Your Wardrobe With These Jaw-Dropping Banana Republic Deals
- Cynthia Rowley Says Daughters Won't Take Over Her Fashion Brand Because They Don’t Want to Work as Hard
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Man sentenced to prison for abuse of woman seen chained up in viral video that drew outcry in China
- Cynthia Rowley Says Daughters Won't Take Over Her Fashion Brand Because They Don’t Want to Work as Hard
- Three-time Pro Bowl CB Marcus Peters reaches deal with Las Vegas Raiders, per reports
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Several killed in Palestinian terror attacks in West Bank and Tel Aviv, as Israel strikes Hamas targets in Lebanon and Gaza
Yik Yak, The Anonymous App That Tested Free Speech, Is Back
Tougher Rules Are Coming For Bitcoin And Other Cryptocurrencies. Here's What To Know
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
In The U.S., Google Searches For 'Dating' Have Reached A 5-Year High
Rape Accusations At Alibaba Bring China's #MeToo Movement Back Into The Spotlight
Elise Hu: The Beauty Ideal