Current:Home > NewsIran launches satellite that is part of a Western-criticized program as regional tensions spike -GrowthInsight
Iran launches satellite that is part of a Western-criticized program as regional tensions spike
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:04:42
JERUSALEM (AP) — Iran said Saturday it had conducted a successful satellite launch into its highest orbit yet, the latest for a program the West fears improves Tehran’s ballistic missiles.
The announcement comes as heightened tensions grip the wider Middle East over Israel’s ongoing war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip, and just days after Iran and Pakistan engaged in tit-for-tat airstrikes in each others’ countries.
The Soraya satellite was placed in an orbit at some 750 kilometers (460 miles) above the Earth’s surface with its three-stage Qaem 100 rocket, the state-run IRNA news agency said. It did not immediately acknowledge what the satellite did, though telecommunications minister Isa Zarepour described the launch as having a 50-kilogram (110-pound) payload.
The launch was part of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards’ space program alongside Iran’s civilian space program, the report said.
There was no immediate independent confirmation Iran had successfully put the satellite in orbit. The U.S. military and the State Department did not immediately respond to request for comment.
The United States has previously said Iran’s satellite launches defy a U.N. Security Council resolution and called on Tehran to undertake no activity involving ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons. U.N. sanctions related to Iran’s ballistic missile program expired last October.
The U.S. intelligence community’s 2023 worldwide threat assessment said the development of satellite launch vehicles “shortens the timeline” for Iran to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile because it uses similar technology.
Intercontinental ballistic missiles can be used to deliver nuclear weapons. Iran is now producing uranium close to weapons-grade levels after the collapse of its nuclear deal with world powers. Tehran has enough enriched uranium for “several” nuclear weapons, if it chooses to produce them, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency repeatedly has warned.
Iran has always denied seeking nuclear weapons and says its space program, like its nuclear activities, is for purely civilian purposes. However, U.S. intelligence agencies and the IAEA say Iran had an organized military nuclear program up until 2003.
The involvement of the Guard in the launches, as well as it being able to launch the rocket from a mobile launcher, raise concerns for the West. The Guard, which answers only to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, revealed its space program back in 2020.
Over the past decade, Iran has sent several short-lived satellites into orbit and in 2013 launched a monkey into space. The program has seen recent troubles, however. There have been five failed launches in a row for the Simorgh program, another satellite-carrying rocket.
A fire at the Imam Khomeini Spaceport in February 2019 killed three researchers, authorities said at the time. A launchpad rocket explosion later that year drew the attention of then-President Donald Trump, who taunted Iran with a tweet showing what appeared to be a U.S. surveillance photo of the site.
In December, Iran sent a capsule into orbit capable of carrying animals as it prepares for human missions in the coming years.
___
Associated Press writer Amir Vahdat in Tehran, Iran, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (67293)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Kamala Harris: A Baptist with a Jewish husband and a faith that traces back to MLK and Gandhi
- An 11-year-old Virginia boy is charged with making swatting calls to Florida schools
- Netanyahu meets with Biden and Harris to narrow gaps on a Gaza war cease-fire deal
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Are schools asking too much for back-to-school shopping? Many parents say yes.
- Khloe Kardashian Is Ranked No. 7 in the World for Aging Slowly
- Single-engine plane carrying 2 people crashes in Bar Harbor, Maine
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Where Joe Manganiello Stands on Becoming a Dad After Sofía Vergara Split
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- 'It's just a miracle': Man found alive after 14 days in the Kentucky wilderness
- In 'Illinoise,' Broadway fans find a show that feels like it 'was written about me'
- An 11-year-old Virginia boy is charged with making swatting calls to Florida schools
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- In Northeast Ohio, Hello to Solar and Storage; Goodbye to Coal
- Man accused of mass shooting attempt at Virginia church ruled competent to stand trial
- US viewers’ Olympics interest is down, poll finds, except for Simone Biles
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Aaron Boone, Yankees' frustration mounts after Subway Series sweep by Mets
Mary Lou Retton Tears Up Over Inspirational Messages From Her 1984 Olympic Teammates
Commission chair says there’s no ‘single silver bullet’ to improving Georgia’s Medicaid program
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Fajitas at someone else's birthday? Why some joke 'it's the most disrespectful thing'
Man accused of mass shooting attempt at Virginia church ruled competent to stand trial
Former Kentucky lawmaker and cabinet secretary acquitted of 2022 rape charge