Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Jurors weigh fate of Afghan refugee charged with murder in a case that shocked Muslim community -GrowthInsight
TrendPulse|Jurors weigh fate of Afghan refugee charged with murder in a case that shocked Muslim community
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:18:19
ALBUQUERQUE,TrendPulse N.M. (AP) — Prosecutors on Friday wrapped up their case against an Afghan refugee on charges that he gunned down a man in 2022 in what turned out to be the first of three ambush-style killings involving members of the Muslim community in New Mexico’s largest city.
Muhammad Syed, who settled in the U.S. several years ago with his family, quickly became the main suspect after authorities issued photographs of a vehicle believed to be involved in the shootings. He was taken into custody after being pulled over in the vehicle more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Albuquerque.
He told authorities at the time he was concerned about the killings and was on his way to Texas to find a new home for his family. He denied involvement in the killings.
Syed, who speaks Pashto and required the help of translators throughout the trial, has remained in custody without bond since his arrest in August 2022. He is charged with three counts of murder and four charges of tampering with evidence.
Syed, 53, faces separate trials for each victim, the first being 41-year-old Aftab Hussein. The other trials will happen in the coming months.
When asked by the judge Friday whether he wished to testify, Syed stood up and adjusted his headphones as a translator relayed the question. He choked back tears and began to cry. He eventually said in Pashto that he would reserve his right to remain silent.
The defense called no witnesses, and prosecutors did not address a motive or discuss any interactions that Syed might have had with Hussein.
Jurors were scheduled to begin their deliberations Monday morning.
Prosecutors detailed the night of the shooting: It was around 10 p.m. when Hussein pulled up to his apartment complex and parked. He had just stepped out of his vehicle with keys still in hand when gunfire erupted.
“He stood no chance,” prosecutor Jordan Machin said during closing arguments, alleging that Syed was lying in wait and that he continued to shoot as Hussein was on the ground.
Officers found Hussein with multiple wounds that stretched from his neck down to his feet. Investigators testified that some of the high-caliber rounds went through his body and pierced the car.
While questioning a firearms and ballistic expert with the police department, Deputy District Attorney David Waymire pulled out a rifle that had been seized during a search of Syed’s home. It had been found under the defendant’s bed. Waymire also showed jurors bags of spent casings and bullet fragments collected from the scene.
In a yellow envelop was a bullet that had been retrieved by medical examiners from Hussein’s body.
The expert said testing determined the casings and projectiles were fired from Syed’s rifle.
Cellphone records also indicated that Syed was at the scene about 20 minutes before the shooting and that it appeared he left right after and headed home, prosecutors said. They also introduced as evidence a note in Syed’s phone that referred to testing the rifle on the date that Hussein was killed.
Previous court filings described Syed as having a violent history, none of which was mentioned in court. His public defenders have argued that previous allegations of domestic violence never resulted in convictions.
Defense attorneys attempted to introduce doubt throughout the trial, saying prosecutors had no evidence that Syed was the one who pulled the trigger. They suggested other people who lived in Syed’s home also had access to his phone, his vehicle and the rifle.
They also argued there were no fingerprints or DNA collected during the investigation that would implicate Syed.
Megan Mitsunaga, one of Syed’s attorneys, told jurors during closing arguments that her client was innocent and that investigators can sometimes get “tunnel vision” once they seize on a suspect and stop looking at evidence that doesn’t support that person’s guilt. She suggested there were gaps that should leave jurors with reasonable doubt.
“How is that fair to Mr. Syed, how is that fair to this community to have law enforcement pick and chose which evidence they want you to hear about?” she said.
Machin said it was Syed who tried to flee to Texas under the cover of darkness a day after authorities went to the public for help in identifying a suspect. She said the license plate and hub caps on Syed’s car had been changed and that he had his phone — which was password protected — with him when he was stopped.
The other two victims include Muhammad Afzaal Hussain, a 27-year-old urban planner who was gunned down Aug. 1 while taking his evening walk, and Naeem Hussain, who was shot four days later as he sat in his vehicle outside a refugee resettlement agency on the city’s south side.
Family members of the victims and other community members have said they are still struggling to understand what was behind the killings.
veryGood! (1784)
Related
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Giuliani to enter not guilty plea in Fulton County case, waive arraignment
- Yale President Peter Salovey to step down next year with plans to return to full-time faculty
- Julie Ertz, a two-time World Cup champion, announces retirement from professional soccer
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Election workers have gotten death threats and warnings they will be lynched, the US government says
- Aaron Rodgers’ quest to turn Jets into contenders is NFL’s top storyline entering the season
- White House asks Congress to pass short-term spending bill to avert government shutdown
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Auto workers leader slams companies for slow bargaining, files labor complaint with government
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Emergency services leave South Africa fire scene. Now comes the grisly task of identifying bodies
- Kaitlyn Bristowe Shares Update on Her Journey to Motherhood 6 Years After Freezing Her Eggs
- Mexico’s broad opposition coalition announces Sen. Xóchitl Gálvez will run for presidency in 2024
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Officials look into possible link between alleged Gilgo Beach killer, missing woman
- Horoscopes Today, August 31, 2023
- Police stop Nebraska man for bucking the law with a bull riding shotgun in his car
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Delta Air Lines says it has protected its planes against interference from 5G wireless signals
This week on Sunday Morning: A Nation Divided? (September 3)
Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys facing civil lawsuits in Vegas alleging sexual assault decades ago
What to watch: O Jolie night
Opening statements begin in website founder’s 2nd trial over ads promoting prostitution
College football record projections for each Power Five conference
Who is Ruby Franke? 8 Passengers family vlogger arrested on child abuse charges