Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case -GrowthInsight
EchoSense:Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:09:04
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The EchoSenseextended family of Erik and Lyle Menendez will advocate for the brothers’ release from prison during a news conference set for Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles as prosecutors review new evidence to determine whether they should be serving life sentences for killing their parents.
Billed as “a powerful show of unity” by more than a dozen family members — including the brothers’ aunt — who are traveling across the country to Los Angeles, the news conference will take place less than two weeks after LA County District Attorney George Gascón announced his office was looking at the brothers’ case again.
Erik Menendez, now 53, and his 56-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, are currently incarcerated in state prison without the possibility of parole after being convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion more than 35 years ago.
Lyle Menendez, who was then 21, and Erik Menendez, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and their mother, Kitty Menendez, in 1989 but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.
The extended family’s attorney Bryan Freedman previously said they strongly support the brothers’ release. Comedian Rosie O’Donnell also plans to join the family on Wednesday.
“She wishes nothing more than for them to be released,” Freedman said earlier this month of Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister and the brothers’ aunt.
Earlier this month, Gascón said there is no question the brothers committed the 1989 murders, but his office will be reviewing new evidence and will make a decision on whether a resentencing is warranted in the notorious case that captured national attention.
The brothers’ attorneys said the family believed from the beginning they should have been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. Manslaughter was not an option for the jury during the second trial that ultimately led to the brothers’ murder conviction, attorney Mark Geragos previously said.
The case has gained new traction in recent weeks after Netflix began streaming the true-crime drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story. ”
The new evidence includes a letter written by Erik Menendez that his attorneys say corroborates the allegations that he was sexually abused by his father. A hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Prosecutors at the time contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.
But the brothers have said they killed their parents out of self-defense after enduring a lifetime of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from them. Their attorneys argue that because of society’s changing views on sexual abuse, that the brothers may not have been convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole today.
Jurors in 1996 rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.
veryGood! (669)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Starbucks ordered to court over allegations Refresher drinks lack fruit
- 96-year-old federal judge suspended from hearing cases after concerns about her fitness
- Amazon's 20 Top-Rated Fashion Finds Under $20
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- See Powerball winning numbers: Jackpot grows to $725 million after no winner in Wednesday drawing
- Justin Trudeau accuses India of credible link to activist's assassination in Canada
- 'Probably haunted' funeral home listed for sale as 3-bedroom house with rooms 'gutted and waiting'
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- TLC's Chilli Is Going to Be a Grandma: Son Tron Is Expecting Baby With His Wife Jeong
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- `Mama can still play': Julie Ertz leaves USWNT on her terms, leaves lasting impact on game
- What's the matter with men? 'Real masculinity' should look to queer community, Gen Z.
- Mississippi auditor says several college majors indoctrinate students and should be defunded
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Lionel Messi leaves with fatigue, Inter Miami routs Toronto FC to keep playoff hopes alive
- Son of Ruby Franke, YouTube mom charged with child abuse, says therapist tied him up, used cayenne pepper to dress wounds
- Sophie Turner sues to force estranged husband Joe Jonas to turn over children’s passports
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Search for murder suspect mistakenly freed from jail expands to more cities
Justin Trudeau accuses India of credible link to activist's assassination in Canada
Several Trump allies could be witnesses in Georgia election interference trial
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Virginia family receives millions in settlement with police over wrongful death lawsuit
The former head of a Florida domestic abuse agency has been charged with fraud and grand theft
Biometrics could be the key to protecting your digital ID: 5 Things podcast