Current:Home > StocksU.S. Coast Guard suspends search for missing diver at Florida Keys shipwreck: "This was a tragic accident" -GrowthInsight
U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for missing diver at Florida Keys shipwreck: "This was a tragic accident"
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 13:10:51
The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search for a 44-year-old man who went missing during a dive to a shipwreck off the Florida Keys last week, officials announced Monday. Crews had been searching for Thomas Faulkenberry since he was reported missing Wednesday.
"This was a tragic accident," Coast Guard Capt. Jason Ingram, commander of the agency's Key West sector, said in a statement. "Diving is an inherently dangerous activity. Mr. Faulkenberry's passion for the sea is well remembered by the dive community here in the Keys and my deepest condolences are with his family at this difficult time."
Faulkenberry was reported missing Wednesday morning after he was overdue returning from a dive to the wreck of the USS Vandenberg about 7 miles off Key West, the agency said. The decommissioned ship dates back to World War II, and it was intentionally sunk in the area in 2009 to add an artificial reef to a marine sanctuary.
#BREAKING @USCG air and surface crews are searching with partners for 44yr old Thomas Faulkenberry, who was last seen diving, Wed., wearing black dive gear with black fins in the vicinity of Vandenburg Wreck.
— USCGSoutheast (@USCGSoutheast) August 2, 2023
Anyone with more information call Sector Key West @ 305-282-8727#SAR pic.twitter.com/AQoRszyLPl
Crews searched an area of approximately 4,300 square miles, about the size of Connecticut, for Faulkenberry without success, the Coast Guard said.
Anyone with information about Faulkenberry's whereabouts was urged to contact the Coast Guard.
- In:
- Florida Keys
- United States Coast Guard
Alex Sundby is a senior editor for CBSNews.com
TwitterveryGood! (6199)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- UConn guard Azzi Fudd will miss remainder of the season with a knee injury
- How the hostage deal came about: Negotiations stumbled, but persistence finally won out
- She's that girl: New Beyoncé reporter to go live on Instagram, answer reader questions
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Thanksgiving Grandma Wanda Dench and Jamal Hinton Reunite for Holiday for 8th Year
- No crime in death of 9-year-old girl struck by Tucson school gate, sheriff says
- Maui residents wonder if their burned town can be made safe. The answer? No one knows
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Nicaragua’s Miss Universe title win exposes deep political divide in the Central American country
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Former Broncos Super Bowl champion Harald Hasselbach dies at 56
- Zach Edey's MVP performance leads No. 2 Purdue to Maui Invitational title
- Watch this darling toddler run for the first time, straight into her military dad's arms
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- 'Bye Bye Barry' doc, Scott Mitchell's anger over it, shows how far Detroit Lions have come
- Five people injured, including three young children, during suspected stabbing incident in Dublin
- 10 days after India tunnel collapse, medical camera offers glimpse of 41 men trapped inside awaiting rescue
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
More than 43,000 people went to the polls for a Louisiana election. A candidate won by 1 vote
Witnesses describe vehicle explosion at U.S.-Canada border: I never saw anything like it
Sweet potato memories: love 'em, rely on 'em ... hate 'em
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Could cellphone evidence be the key to solving Stephen Smith's cold case?
Chinese refugee challenges Australian law that imposes a curfew and tracking bracelet
Mexico arrests alleged security chief for the ‘Chapitos’ wing of the Sinaloa drug cartel