Current:Home > reviewsUS deports 116 Chinese migrants in first ‘large’ flight in 5 years -GrowthInsight
US deports 116 Chinese migrants in first ‘large’ flight in 5 years
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:03:38
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Department of Homeland Security said Tuesday that it sent 116 Chinese migrants from the United States back home in the first “large charter flight” in five years.
The flight, which happened over the weekend, comes as Chinese immigration has become the subject of intense political debate in the upcoming U.S. presidential election.
“We will continue to enforce our immigration laws and remove individuals without a legal basis to remain in the United States,” Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in a statement.
The department said it was working with China to “reduce and deter irregular migration and to disrupt illicit human smuggling through expanded law enforcement efforts.” It did not respond to questions about how long the migrants had been in the U.S.
In recent years, the United States has had a difficult time returning Chinese nationals who do not have the right to stay in America because China has resisted taking them back. Last year, the United States saw a drastic surge in the number of Chinese immigrants entering the country illegally from Mexico.
U.S. border officials arrested more than 37,000 Chinese nationals on the southern border in 2023, 10 times the number during the previous year.
Chinese migration has increasingly become a rallying cry for Republicans and former President Donald Trump who have raised suspicions about why Chinese migrants are coming to the U.S.
Asian advocacy organizations are concerned that the rhetoric could encourage harassment of Asians, while migrants themselves have said they’re coming to escape poverty and repression.
Earlier this year, the U.S. and China resumed cooperation on migration issues.
The Chinese government has said it is firmly opposed to “all forms of illegal immigration.” In a statement in May, China’s Embassy in the U.S. said the country’s law enforcement was cracking down “hard on crimes that harm the tranquility of national border, and maintained a high pressure against all kinds of smuggling organizations and offenders.”
Homeland Security said they are working with China on more removal flights in the future but did not give a timeline for when the next one would happen.
Earlier this year, a charter flight carried a small but unknown number of deportees to the northeastern Chinese city of Shenyang, according to Thomas Cartwright of Witness at the Border, an advocacy group that tracks deportation flights.
Homeland Security officials did not say how many people were on that March 30 flight, but the Gulfstream V aircraft typically has a seating capacity of 14. It also made a stop in South Korea before heading back to the U.S., Cartwright said.
The announcement of the large charter flight comes after Ecuador cut off a key route used by Chinese migrants to get to the Western Hemisphere. Ecuador was one of only two mainland countries in the Americas to offer visa-free entry to Chinese nationals and had become a popular starting point for Chinese migrants to then trek north to the U.S.
As of July 1, Ecuador has effectively reinstated visas for Chinese nationals after the South American country said it had seen a worrying increase in irregular migration.
veryGood! (55)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Video shows Army veteran stopping suspect from jacking pregnant woman's car at a Florida Starbucks
- House passes short-term funding plan to avert government shutdown
- A woman killed in Belgium decades ago has been identified when a relative saw her distinctive tattoo
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Matt LeBlanc, Courteney Cox remember friend and co-star Matthew Perry after actor's death
- Maine’s yellow flag law invoked more than a dozen times after deadly shootings
- Salman Rushdie receives first-ever Lifetime Disturbing the Peace Award
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Suspected German anti-government extremist convicted of shooting at police
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Kim Kardashian on divorce from Ye, leaving school with dad Robert Kardashian for O.J. Simpson trial
- Judge’s ruling advances plan to restructure $10 billion debt of Puerto Rico’s power company
- 11 ex-police officers sentenced in 2021 killings of 17 migrants and 2 others in northern Mexico
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- China and the U.S. pledge to step up climate efforts ahead of Biden-Xi summit
- Southwest Airlines raises prices on alcohol ahead of the holidays
- It took Formula 1 way too long to realize demand for Las Vegas was being vastly overestimated
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
10 years ago, Batkid was battling bad guys and cancer — now he's 15 and healthy
Enrollment rebounds in 2023 after 2-year dip at Georgia public universities and colleges
Whitney Port Shares Her Surrogate Suffered 2 Miscarriages
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Teachers union and school committee in Massachusetts town reach deal to end strike
More parks, less money: Advocates say Mexico’s new budget doesn’t add up for natural protected areas
Lease of Gulf waters delayed by whale protection debate must continue, court rules