Current:Home > FinanceEthermac|China blames Philippines for ship collision in South China Sea. Manila calls the report deceptive -GrowthInsight
Ethermac|China blames Philippines for ship collision in South China Sea. Manila calls the report deceptive
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 11:45:33
TAIPEI (AP) — A Chinese vessel and Ethermaca Philippine supply ship collided near the disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea on Monday, China’s coast guard said, in the latest flare-up of escalating territorial disputes that have sparked alarm.
The coast guard said a Philippine supply ship entered waters near the Second Thomas Shoal, a submerged reef in the Spratly Islands, part of a territory claimed by several nations.
The Philippines says the shoal falls within its internationally recognized exclusive economic zone and often cites a 2016 international arbitration ruling invalidating China’s expansive South China Sea claims based on historical grounds.
The Chinese coast guard said the Philippine craft “ignored China’s repeated solemn warnings … and dangerously approached a Chinese vessel in normal navigation in an unprofessional manner, resulting in a collision.”
“The Philippines is entirely responsible for this,” the coast guard said in its statement on the social media platform WeChat.
Meanwhile, the Philippine military called the Chinese coast guard’s report “deceptive and misleading,” and said it would “not discuss operational details on the legal humanitarian rotation and resupply mission at Ayungin Shoal, which is well within our exclusive economic zone.” It used the Philippine name for the shoal, where Filipino navy personnel have transported food, medicine and other supplies to a long-grounded warship that has served as Manila’s territorial outpost.
Philippine Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. said his country’s armed forces would resist “China’s dangerous and reckless behavior,” which “contravenes their statements of good faith and decency.”
“We will exert our utmost in order to fulfill our sworn mandate to protect our territorial integrity, sovereignty, and sovereign rights,” Teodoro said. “It should now be clear to the international community that China’s actions are the true obstacles to peace and stability in the South China Sea.”
The United States condemned China’s “aggressive, dangerous maneuvers” near the shoal, which “caused bodily injury, damaged Philippine vessels and hindered lawful maritime operations to supply food, water and essential supplies to Philippine personnel within the Philippine exclusive economic zone,” U.S. Ambassador to Manila MaryKay Carlson said in a statement on X.
Two speedboats — attempting to deliver construction materials and other supplies to a military vessel stationed at the shoal — accompanied the supply ship, according to China’s Foreign Ministry, which described its coast guard’s maneuver as “professional, restrained, reasonable and lawful.”
The Foreign Ministry did not expand on the extent of the damage to the Chinese or Philippine vessels.
Several incidents have happened in recent months near the shoal which lies less than 200 nautical miles (370 kilometers) from The Philippines coast and where it maintains an outpost aboard the BRP Sierra Madre, which had been encrusted with rust since it was deliberately grounded in 1999 but remains an actively commissioned military vessel, meaning an attack on it could be considered by the Philippines as an act of war.
China has increasingly become assertive in pressing its claim to virtually the entire South China Sea, which has led to a rising number of direct conflicts with other countries in the region, most notably the Philippines and Vietnam.
A new law by China, which took effect Saturday, authorizes its coast guard to seize foreign ships “that illegally enter China’s territorial waters” and to detain foreign crews for up to 60 days. The law renewed a reference to 2021 legislation that says China’s coast guard can fire upon foreign ships if necessary.
At least three coastal governments with claims to the waters — the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan — have said they would not recognize the law.
The territorial disputes have strained relations and sparked fears the conflict could bring China and the United States, a longtime treaty ally of the Philippines, into a military confrontation. Washington lays no territorial claims to the busy seaway, a key global trade route, but has warned that it’s obligated to defend the Philippines if Filipino forces, ships and aircraft come under an armed attack in the South China Sea.
Aside from China, the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei are also involved in the long-seething territorial disputes, which are regarded as a flashpoint in Asia and a delicate fault line in the longstanding U.S.-China rivalry in the region.
Indonesia has also confronted Chinese coast guard and fishing fleets in the past in the gas-rich waters off the Natuna islands in the fringes of the South China Sea where it blew Chinese fishing boats it had taken under custody. Its navy also fired warning shots at Chinese vessels straying into what Jakarta regards as its exclusive economic zone.
___
Associated Press writer Gomez from Manila, Philippines contributed to this report.
veryGood! (784)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Video shows alligator's 'death roll' amid struggle with officers on North Carolina highway
- Over 1 million claims related to toxic exposure granted under new veterans law, Biden will announce
- Best cities to live in the U.S., according U.S. News & World Report
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Bella Hadid returns to Cannes in sultry sheer Saint Laurent dress
- ‘Justice demands’ new trial for death row inmate, Alabama district attorney says
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score last night? Ankle injury, technical foul in loss
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- During arraignment, Capitol riot defendant defiantly predicts Trump will win election and shutter Jan. 6 criminal cases
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- McDonald's is getting rid of self-serve drinks and some locations may charge for refills
- ‘Justice demands’ new trial for death row inmate, Alabama district attorney says
- Trump-backed legislator, county sheriff face off for McCarthy’s vacant US House seat in California
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Tuesday’s primaries include presidential races and the prosecutor in Trump’s Georgia election case
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly decline after Nasdaq ticks to a record high
- NHL playoffs bracket 2024: What are the conference finals series in Stanley Cup playoffs?
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Demi Moore talks full-frontal nudity scenes in Cannes-premiered horror movie 'The Substance'
Arizona grad student accused of killing professor in 2022 had planned the crime, prosecutor says
A billionaire gave college grads $1000 each at commencement - but they can only keep half
Sam Taylor
Michael Strahan Shares Sweet Video of Daughter Isabella Amid Her Cancer Battle
Red Lobster files for bankruptcy days after closing dozens of locations across the US
Defense witness who angered judge in Trump’s hush money trial will return to the stand