Current:Home > MyManhattan D.A. says he does "not oppose" a 30-day delay of Trump's "hush money" trial -GrowthInsight
Manhattan D.A. says he does "not oppose" a 30-day delay of Trump's "hush money" trial
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:50:16
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg told a judge Thursday that his office is willing to delay the upcoming trial of former President Donald Trump by a month, a stunning turn of events just 11 days before proceedings in the "hush money" case were set to begin. The trial is currently scheduled to start March 25.
Attorneys for Trump in January subpoenaed the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, which on March 4 turned over more than 73,000 pages of documents. The office turned over more documents Wednesday, according to Bragg's filing.
"Yesterday, the USAO produced approximately 31,000 pages of additional records and represented that there will be another production of documents by next week," wrote Bragg, who said the documents included material his office requested more than a year ago. "Based on our initial review of yesterday's production, those records appear to contain materials related to the subject matter of this case."
Bragg wrote that the U.S. Attorney "previously declined to provide" the material.
Trump's lawyers asked for a 90 day delay as a result, or dismissal of the case.
"Although the People are prepared to proceed to trial on March 25, we do not oppose an adjournment in an abundance of caution and to ensure that defendant has sufficient time to review the new materials," Bragg wrote. "We therefore notify the Court that we do not oppose a brief adjournment not to exceed 30 days."
An attorney for Trump did not immediately reply to a request for comment. Trump has entered a not guilty plea in the case, in which he's charged with 34 felony counts of falsification of business records. The allegations related to reimbursements to his former attorney Michael Cohen for a $130,000 payment to an adult film star.
In a March 8 filing that was made public Thursday, Trump's lawyers accused Bragg's office of attempting to thwart their efforts to get material from the Southern District of New York U.S. Attorney.
Trump's attorneys wrote the documents that were ultimately turned over related to, among other things, bank records and related emails concerning Cohen, and documents seized in 2018 from "two Apple iPhones and three email accounts belonging to Mr. Cohen."
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (65784)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- The top zip codes, zodiac signs and games for Texas lottery winners
- Heat records keep puzzling, alarming scientists in 2024. Here's what to know.
- This NBA star always dreamed of being a teacher. So students in Brooklyn got the substitute teacher of a lifetime.
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- SEC struggles show Greg Sankey should keep hands off of NCAA Tournament expansion
- Mountain lion kills 1, injures another in California
- Pennsylvania teen accused of killing 12-year-old girl, sentenced to 15 to 40 years
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Experience Unbeatable Convenience and Save 30% on the Hanging Cosmetics Bag Shoppers Can’t Get Enough Of
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Arrests for illegal border crossings nudge up in February but still among lowest of Biden presidency
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Primetime
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene files motion to oust House Speaker Mike Johnson over spending deal
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Princess Kate has cancer. How do you feel now about spreading all those rumors?
- Deadly attack on Moscow concert hall shakes Russian capital and sows doubts about security
- Comedian Kevin Hart is joining a select group honored with the Mark Twain Prize for American humor
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
The Capital One commercials with Charles Barkley, Samuel L. Jackson and Spike Lee ranked
Women's March Madness games today: Schedule, how to watch Sunday's NCAA Tournament
Mega Millions jackpot rises to $1.1 billion after another drawing without a winner
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Why Frankie Muniz Does Not Allow His Son to Become a Child Actor
Search for 6-year-old girl who fell into rain-swollen creek now considered recovery, not rescue
Princess Kate has cancer and is asking for privacy – again. Will we finally listen?