Current:Home > NewsProsecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -GrowthInsight
Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:28:56
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The local prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (13791)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Ian Ziering details 'unsettling confrontation' with bikers on New Year's Eve that led to attack
- A missing person with no memory: How investigators solved the cold case of Seven Doe
- What does a total abortion ban look like in Dominican Republic?
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Zapatista indigenous rebel movement marks 30 years since its armed uprising in southern Mexico
- Pretty Little Liars' Brant Daugherty and Wife Kim Welcome Baby No. 2
- Sophia Bush Says 2023 “Humbled” and “Broke” Her Amid New Personal Chapter
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Ex-gang leader makes his bid in Las Vegas court for house arrest before trial in Tupac Shakur case
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Taylor Swift duplicates Travis Kelce's jacket for New Year's Eve Chiefs vs. Bengals game
- Venezuela says troops will stay deployed until British military vessel leaves waters off Guyana
- California 10-year-old used father's stolen gun to fatally shoot boy, authorities say
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Migrant crossings of English Channel declined by more than a third in 2023, UK government says
- What's open New Year's Eve 2023? What to know about Walmart, Starbucks, stores, restaurants
- 4 ways AI can help with climate change, from detecting methane to preventing fires
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
2 men arrested in connection with Ugandan Olympic runner’s killing in Kenya, police say
Les McCann, prolific jazz musician known for protest song 'Compared to What,' dies at 88
Tens of thousands flee central Gaza as Israel's offensive expands
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Mysterious blast shakes Beirut’s southern suburbs as tensions rise along the border with Israel
Thai prime minister says visa-free policy for Chinese visitors to be made permanent in March
2024 Winter Classic winners and losers: Joey Daccord makes history, Vegas slide continues