Current:Home > StocksTrump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case -GrowthInsight
Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 12:59:11
Donald Trump is asking a federal court to order a new trial in the civil case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll or to reduce the damages awarded to her by a jury that found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
The former president's attorneys argued in a filing on Thursday that the $5 million verdict was "grossly excessive."
Carroll accused Trump of attacking her in a department store changing room during a chance encounter in the mid-1990s, and then of defaming her after she went public with the story in 2019.
Trump's attorneys argued in the new filing that a $2 million portion of the award was excessive because the jury did not find him liable for rape.
Trump has denied assaulting Carroll and claimed her story was fabricated. She testified that they had been amiably walking through the store, joking during a light conversation, before Trump pushed her against a wall, her head slamming against it, and forcefully penetrated her with his hand and penis.
Trump's attorneys claimed $2.7 million in compensatory damages for defamation were based on "speculation" about how many people viewed a defamatory social media post by Trump in which he denied the allegation. The filing also claims the remaining punitive damages related to the defamation were awarded "without due process."
Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll, said in a statement to CBS News that Trump is trying to argue Carroll doesn't "deserve" the damages awarded to her, "even if he did those things."
"Trump's arguments are frivolous," Kaplan said. "The jury carefully considered the evidence that Ms. Carroll presented, and Trump did not put on a single witness of his own. This time, Trump will not be able to escape the consequences of his actions."
Carroll's attorneys argued during the eight-day trial that her allegations against Trump fit with what they called Trump's "modus operandi." In addition to witnesses who said Carroll confided in them after the incident, the jury heard from two other women who described Trump suddenly turning casual confrontations into sexual misconduct. They also watched the "Access Hollywood" video clip that emerged during the 2016 campaign, in which Trump could be heard crudely describing grabbing women by their genitals.
Trump has also appealed the verdict and continues to vehemently deny the allegations. Carroll amended a separate, previously filed defamation lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in new damages. She claimed comments Trump made at a televised town hall — the day after the jury found him liable — were also disparaging.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (17)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Removed during protests, Louisville's statue of King Louis XVI is still in limbo
- CDC shortens 5-day COVID isolation, updates guidance on masks and testing in new 2024 recommendations
- In a rural California region, a plan takes shape to provide shade from dangerous heat
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Singapore to Build World’s Largest Facility that Sucks Carbon From the Sea
- Yosemite National Park shuts down amid massive winter storm: 'Leave as soon as possible'
- CVS and Walgreens to start selling abortion pills this month
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- You'll Want to Check Out Justin Bieber's New Wax Figure More Than One Time
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- The 15 best movies with Adam Sandler, ranked (including Netflix's new 'Spaceman')
- Gov. Abbott says Texas wildfires may have destroyed up to 500 structures
- Ex-NFL player Chad Wheeler sentenced to 81 months in prison; survivor of attack reacts
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Suspended Heat center Thomas Bryant gets Nuggets championship ring, then leaves arena
- Hungry for Some Good Eats? Kate Hudson, Francia Raisa and More Stars Reveal Their Go-To Snacks
- Celebrated stylemaker and self-named 'geriatric starlet' Iris Apfel dies at age 102
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
NFL free agency starts soon. These are the 50 hottest free agents on the market
Big Brother’s Memphis Garrett and Christmas Abbott Break Up After Less Than 2 Years of Marriage
'Excess deaths' in Gaza for next 6 months projected in first-of-its-kind effort
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Police in suburban Chicago release body-worn camera footage of fatal shooting of man in his bedroom
New York Community Bancorp shares plummet amid CEO exit and loan woes
CDC shortens 5-day COVID isolation, updates guidance on masks and testing in new 2024 recommendations