Current:Home > MyPaul McCartney's long-lost Höfner bass returned after more than 50 years -GrowthInsight
Paul McCartney's long-lost Höfner bass returned after more than 50 years
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 12:59:11
Paul McCartney has been reunited with the original Höfner bass guitar he bought in the early 1960s that was stolen in the '70s, the former Beatles member confirmed Wednesday.
"Following the launch of last year's Lost Bass project, Paul's 1961 Höfner 500/1 bass guitar, which was stolen in 1972, has been returned," read a brief statement on McCartney's website. "The guitar has been authenticated by Höfner and Paul is incredibly grateful to all those involved."
McCartney bought the guitar, a left-handed Höfner 500/1 Violin Bass, in Hamburg, Germany, in 1961. It was his primary instrument throughout the early years of The Beatles' runs at Hamburg's Top Ten Club and Liverpool's Cavern Club and on early Beatles recordings until it became his backup when he got a new Höfner in 1963.
But the bass went missing years later, and in 2023, three lifelong Beatles fans set out to get it back (to where it once belonged).
Nick Wass, a former marketing manager and electric guitar developer for Höfner, and husband and wife team Scott and Naomi Jones, both journalists, created the Lost Bass Project to seek out leads and share updates on their search for the missing instrument.
The team discovered in October that the bass had been stolen off a truck in London's Notting Hill neighborhood in 1972. This was something of a breakthrough, they explained, as it was previously believed the Höfner had been stolen from The Beatles' Apple Corps headquarters on Savile Row in January 1969 during the "Get Back" sessions, which culminated in the band's final live performance, on the roof of the building, and eventually led to their final album "Let It Be."
Ian Horne, one of McCartney's former sound engineers, got in touch with the Lost Bass Project and told them about the 1972 theft. According to Horne, the bass was taken from the back of a padlocked truck that had been rented to help move some equipment as McCartney and his band Wings prepared for an upcoming tour and recorded the album "Red Rose Speedway."
"I knew it was Paul's original Höfner bass that had been stolen, and I knew what it meant to him," Horne wrote in an email, according to the Lost Bass Project. "Trevor [Jones, McCartney's other sound engineer at the time] and I did all we could to find it, but it was gone. Eventually, we had to go to Paul's house in Cavendish Avenue and tell him that the gear had been stolen from the back of the truck. We went into the room and told Paul. He told us not to worry, and we kept our jobs. He's a good man, Paul. I worked for him for six years after the bass went missing. But I've carried the guilt all my life."
The Lost Bass Project said it was then able to figure out exactly who stole it and learned it was sold to the owner of a pub in the area. While the project has not revealed any specifics, having promised anyone who comes forward confidentiality, it said it was able to track the bass' movements over the years.
"As a result of the publicity someone living in a terraced house on the south coast of England remembered an old bass guitar that was in their attic," the Lost Bass Project wrote Thursday. "They got this out and realized just what they had. Within days it was back with Paul McCartney!"
While the 1961 Höfner had been missing for decades, McCartney continued to use the bass he got in 1963 throughout the rest of the Beatles' career. He stopped using that model in the 1970s, but returned to it in 1987, according to Guitar World.
"I had sort of parked it. I had thought I had outgrown it. I started playing it again and never really looked back," McCartney said, according to Guitar World. "It's great that Elvis [Costello] encouraged me to take it out."
McCartney still plays the '63 Höfner live and on studio recordings to this day.
Jordan FreimanJordan Freiman is an editor and writer for CBSNews.com. He covers breaking news, trending stories, sports and crime. Jordan has previously worked at Spin and Death and Taxes.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Latest deadly weather in US kills at least 18 as storms carve path of ruin across multiple states
- Jimmy Kimmel's 7-Year-Old Son Billy Undergoes 3rd Open Heart Surgery
- Ancient Ohio tribal site where golfers play is changing hands — but the price is up to a jury
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Lizzo reacts to 'South Park' joke about her in Ozempic episode: 'My worst fear'
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Share Rare Photos of Son Kingston on His 18th Birthday
- AIPC: This Time, Generative AI Is Personal
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Lizzo reacts to 'South Park' joke about her in Ozempic episode: 'My worst fear'
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Congress defies its own law, fails to install plaque honoring Jan. 6 police officers
- South Louisiana authorities search for 2 of 4 men who escaped parish jail
- The Tragic Truth About Amy Winehouse's Last Days
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Man accused of starting wildfire in national wildlife preserve near Arizona-California border
- Johnny Wactor, 'General Hospital' actor, shot and killed at 37: Reports
- Aaron Judge continues to put on show for the ages, rewriting another page in record book
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Stan Wawrinka, who is 39, beats Andy Murray, who is 37, at the French Open. Alcaraz and Osaka win
When does 'America's Got Talent' return? Premiere date, judges, where to watch Season 19
Suspected assassin for Sinaloa drug cartel known as El Nini extradited to U.S.
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Mixing cleaning products can create chemical warfare gas: The Cleantok hacks to avoid
Rafael Nadal ousted in first round at French Open. Was this his last at Roland Garros?
In Trump’s hush money trial, prosecutors and defense lawyers are poised to make final pitch to jury