Current:Home > StocksFailed jailbreak for man accused of kidnapping, imprisoning woman, officials say -GrowthInsight
Failed jailbreak for man accused of kidnapping, imprisoning woman, officials say
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 13:15:51
The man accused of kidnapping a woman who later escaped from a homemade cinderblock cell himself tried to break out of an Oregon jail this week, officials said.
The man, 29-year-old Negasi Zuberi of Klamath Falls, Oregon, was caught on Tuesday trying to break through the window of his cell at the Jackson County Jail, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.
Zuberi, who authorities say has also gone by several aliases, was arrested in July after the FBI and local police say he posed as an undercover police officer and kidnapped a woman from Seattle. He's accused of sexually assaulting the woman and driving her hundreds of miles to his home in Klamath Falls, where he imprisoned her in a makeshift cell in his garage. Authorities say she managed a bloodied escape by pounding on the door and walls.
The FBI said it was searching for additional victims after linking Zuberi to sexual assaults in at least four other states.
An attorney representing Zuberi, Devin Huseby, didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday.
Woman makes daring escape, officials say
Officials said the woman broke out of the "makeshift" cell, which was made of cinderblocks and had a metal door that had been installed backward so it couldn't be opened from the inside. There was also an exterior door, and the cell had been built to be soundproof, Klamath Falls police said in a news release earlier this month.
She banged against the door, bloodying and bruising her hands, until she managed to break welds on the door, rip a metal screen off it and crawl out.
"The victim’s focus, actions and her will to survive triggered a law enforcement response that may have actually saved many other women from a similar nightmare," Stephanie Shark, the assistant special agent in charge of the FBI’s Portland field office, said.
Handwritten notes in Zuberi's rental home indicated planning went into his attacks. Zuberi and some of his aliases – including Justin Joshua Hyche, Sakima Zuberi and Justin Kouassi – have a history of assault and abuse allegations.
FBI believes there are more victims
The FBI said investigators believe Zuberi has used different methods to "gain control" of victims, including drugging their drinks, impersonating law enforcement officers and soliciting sex workers before "violently sexually assaulting them."
Some of the assaults were filmed to make them appear consensual, and Zuberi would threaten women with retaliation if they reported the assaults to police, the FBI said.
"Sadly, we believe there are more victims," Shark said.
Suspect faces new charges in jail escape attempt
The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said Zuberi is being charged with second-degree attempted escape and first-degree disorderly conduct.
A maintenance worker outside the building heard a "suspicious noise" coming from one of the cells, and alerted deputies on Tuesday afternoon at about 12:45 p.m., the sheriff's office said.
Deputies found Zuberi "standing on his bunk bed near a chipped window in his cell." They also found an "improvised tool" they believe he used to damage the window during a search of the cell.
The window was made of reinforced glass and Zuberi was only able to damage the interior layer, the sheriff's office said. He was then moved to another cell with no exterior windows.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- When do new 'Yellowstone' episodes come out? Here's the Season 5, Part 2 episode schedule
- Song Jae-lim, Moon Embracing the Sun Actor, Dead at 39
- Champions Classic is for elite teams. So why is Michigan State still here? | Opinion
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Women’s baseball players could soon have a league of their own again
- Queen Elizabeth II's Final 5-Word Diary Entry Revealed
- Hurricane-damaged Tropicana Field can be fixed for about $55M in time for 2026 season, per report
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Wreck of Navy destroyer USS Edsall known as 'the dancing mouse' found 80 years after sinking
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Tom Brady Shares How He's Preparing for Son Jack to Be a Stud
- Georgia public universities and colleges see enrollment rise by 6%
- FC Cincinnati player Marco Angulo dies at 22 after injuries from October crash
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Homes of Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce burglarized, per reports
- Diamond Sports Group will offer single-game pricing to stream NBA and NHL games starting next month
- Krispy Kreme is giving free dozens to early customers on World Kindness Day
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Roster limits in college small sports put athletes on chopping block while coaches look for answers
Officer injured at Ferguson protest shows improvement, transferred to rehab
Pennsylvania House Republicans pick new floor leader after failing to regain majority
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Beyoncé course coming to Yale University to examine her legacy
Mississippi man charged with shooting 5 people after not being allowed into party
New Mexico secretary of state says she’s experiencing harassment after the election