Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-Rapper Tory Lanez set to be sentenced for shooting and injuring Megan Thee Stallion -GrowthInsight
PredictIQ-Rapper Tory Lanez set to be sentenced for shooting and injuring Megan Thee Stallion
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:27:27
Rapper Tory Lanez is PredictIQset to appear in a Los Angeles courtroom Monday, where he will be sentenced for shooting and injuring hip-hop star Megan Thee Stallion in July of 2020.
Lanez, who was convicted on Dec. 23, 2022 for shooting and injuring the hip-hop star, whose legal name is Megan Pete, was initially set to be sentenced in January but the sentencing has been delayed several times after Lanez obtained new attorneys and filed a motion for a new trial. The request for a new trial was denied in May.
Lanez, a Grammy-nominated rapper whose legal name is Daystar Peterson, was convicted on Dec. 23, 2022 and is facing up to 22 years and 8 months in prison.
The Los Angeles District Attorney's office, which is prosecuting this case, filed a motion in May asking the judge to give the rapper a 13-year sentence. Prosecutors also filed a motion on May 23, arguing for a harsher sentence for the rapper. According to the motion, a new California law would by default make the rapper's sentence come in the "middle term" of the potential 22-year sentence, unless "circumstances in aggravation" were proven.
Prosecutors argued in the filing, obtained by ABC News, that "circumstances of aggravation" are present in this case and cited Lanez's "callousness."
Lanez's attorneys, Jose Baez and Matthew Barhoma, did not respond to ABC News' requests for comment.
Tory Lanez awaits sentencing as some in hip-hop come to terms with verdict
Lanez was found guilty of three charges for shooting and injuring Megan in both of her feet in an incident in the Hollywood Hills on July 12, 2020.
The sentencing came after Superior Court of Los Angeles Judge David Herriford last month denied Lanez's request for a new trial.
Lanez was initially charged in October 2020 with one felony count each of assault with a semi-automatic firearm (personal use of a firearm) and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle, according to charging documents obtained by ABC News. "Personal use of a firearm" is not a separate charge but is a sentencing enhancement linked to the first count that could increase the length of Lanez's sentence. Lanez was also charged ahead of his trial with an additional felony count of discharging a firearm with gross negligence.
Lanez, who chose not to take the witness stand during the trial, pleaded not guilty to all three charges. His defense attorneys argued during the trial that Lanez was not the shooter.
Tory Lanez denied new trial in shooting of Megan Thee Stallion
His previous attorney, George Mgdesyan, who represented him at trial, told ABC News then that Lanez was "disappointed" by the verdict. Asked on Dec. 23, 2022 whether he plans to appeal, Mgdesyan said that "everything is on the table."
This case has sparked intense debates over society's treatment of women. Pete's account of the incident -- and the intense public vitriol she faced after sharing her story -- has spotlighted the Protect Black Women movement, which addresses the two-front battle of sexism and racism Black women experience in their own communities and in society at large.
Following the trial, Pete -- who testified during the trial and named Lanez as her shooter -- broke her silence about the shooting in an interview for her May 2023 Elle magazine cover story.
"I don't want to call myself a victim," she said. "As I reflect on the past three years, I view myself as a survivor, because I have truly survived the unimaginable. Not only did I survive being shot by someone I trusted and considered a close friend, but I overcame the public humiliation of having my name and reputation dragged through the mud by that individual for the entire world to see."
veryGood! (874)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Jimmy Garoppolo signs one-year contract with Los Angeles Rams, per reports
- Former Tesla worker settles discrimination case, ending appeals over lowered $3.2 million verdict
- Bears trade Justin Fields to Steelers, clear way to take a QB such as Caleb Williams with No. 1 pick
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Jets to sign longtime Cowboys star Tyron Smith to protect Aaron Rodgers, per reports
- From 4-leaf clovers to some unexpected history, all you need to know about St. Patrick’s Day
- David Breashears, mountaineer and filmmaker who co-produced Mount Everest documentary, dies at 68
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- A local Arizona elections chief who quit in a ballot counting dispute just got a top state job
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- America's Irish heritage: These states have the largest populations from the Emerald Isle
- Florida mom tried selling daughter to stranger for $500, then abandoned the baby, police say
- After dangerous tornadoes in Ohio and Indiana, survivors salvage, reflect and prepare for recovery
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- These Chic Michael Kors Handbags Are All Under $100 – Add Them to Your Cart Before They Sell Out
- California man sentenced to life for ‘boogaloo movement’ killing of federal security guard
- Macaulay Culkin and Brenda Song Step Out for Rare Red Carpet Date Night
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Los Angeles home that appears to belong to model and actor Cara Delevingne is destroyed in fire
2024 NFL free agency updates: Tracker for Friday's biggest buzz, notable contracts
California fertility doctor gets 15 years to life for wife’s murder
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
What makes people happy? California lawmakers want to find out
Arizona authorities say a road rage incident led to a motorist’s death. The other man was arrested.
Blake Lively Seemingly Trolls Kate Middleton Over Photoshop Fail