Current:Home > NewsTraffic snarled as workers begin removing bridge over I-95 following truck fire in Connecticut -GrowthInsight
Traffic snarled as workers begin removing bridge over I-95 following truck fire in Connecticut
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:10:07
NORWALK, Conn. (AP) — Workers on Friday began removing a bridge over a Connecticut highway that was damaged in a fiery crash involving a gasoline tanker truck — a project expected to keep both sides of Interstate 95 closed through the weekend and extend a traffic nightmare on the major artery linking New England and New York.
Crews took down metal fencing on the span in Norwalk before a large excavator began demolishing the concrete sides of the structure. Heavy equipment was brought in overnight. Gov. Ned Lamont said the hope is to reopen the highway by Monday morning.
Traffic on both sides of the highway was being corralled from three travel lanes into exit-only lanes as drivers were detoured onto local streets around the crash site. Livestreams showed cars and trucks creeping slowly on the exit ramps. The state Department of Transportation said the travel time was over an hour for the 16 miles (26 kilometers) from the New York border to Route 7 in Norwalk on I-95 north.
The crash happened at around 5:30 a.m. Thursday on the southbound side of the highway. The tanker truck, carrying about 8,500 gallons (32,000 liters) of gas, burst into flames under the Fairfield Avenue bridge after a collision with a tractor trailer and a car. Officials said no one was seriously injured. The cause of the wreck remained under investigation.
“The heat from the burning fuel compromised some of the bridge, so that bridge is going to have to come down and that demolition is going to start first thing tomorrow morning,” Lamont said at a briefing Thursday in Hartford.
About 160,000 vehicles travel that section of I-95 in both directions daily, officials said.
Norwalk schools were closed Friday, and Mayor Harry Rilling urged local employers to consider allowing employees to work from home.
Text alerts were sent to residents of Connecticut, New York and New Jersey, and trucking companies who use the section of I-95 were notified to find alternative routes and means of travel. U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg said in social media postings that federal highway officials were working with Connecticut authorities.
The crash significantly increased traffic on other highways and secondary roads. The major alternate route in the area, the Merritt Parkway, cannot be used by trucks because its underpasses are too low.
The accident was reminiscent of a deadly one last year in Philadelphia when a tractor-trailer carrying gasoline along I-95 lost control and caught fire, destroying a section of the highway.
Thursday’s crash also came just over a year after a similar wreck on I-95 in Connecticut that also forced the closure of the highway. In that April 2023 crash, a fuel truck caught fire after colliding with a stopped car on the Gold Star Memorial Bridge between New London and Groton. The fuel truck driver was killed. The crash shut down the southbound side of the bridge for hours, while the northbound side was closed briefly. The driver of the car was recently charged with negligent homicide.
veryGood! (29)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Shakira to appear in Barcelona court on the first day of her tax fraud trial in Spain
- Palestinians in the West Bank say Israeli settlers attack them, seize their land amid the war with Hamas
- Paul Azinger out as NBC golf analyst as 5-year contract not renewed
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- 5 common family challenges around the holidays and how to navigate them, according to therapists
- 41 workers in India are stuck in a tunnel for an 8th day. Officials consider alternate rescue plans
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, Nov. 19, 2023
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Ben Dunne, an Irish supermarket heir who survived an IRA kidnapping and a scandal, dies at 74
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Pregnant Jessie James Decker Appears to Hint at Sex of Baby No. 4 in Sweet Family Photo
- Severe storms delay search for 12 crew missing after Turkish cargo ship sinks in Black Sea
- Right-wing populist Milei set to take Argentina down uncharted path: ‘No room for lukewarm measures’
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- College football Week 12 winners and losers: Georgia dominates, USC ends with flop
- Canned seafood moves beyond tuna sandwiches in a pandemic trend that stuck
- When should kids specialize in a sport? Five tips to help you find the right moment
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Kansas to appeal ruling blocking abortion rules, including a medication restriction
Body of hostage Yehudit Weiss recovered in building near Gaza's Al-Shifa Hospital, IDF says
Biden is spending his 81st birthday honoring White House tradition of pardoning Thanksgiving turkeys
'Most Whopper
The U.S. has a controversial plan to store carbon dioxide under the nation's forests
Did police refuse to investigate a serial rapist? Inside the case rocking a Tennessee city
Looming volcano eruption in Iceland leaves evacuated small town in limbo: The lava is under our house