Current:Home > MyMaine looks to pay funeral costs for families of mass shooting victims -GrowthInsight
Maine looks to pay funeral costs for families of mass shooting victims
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 11:54:06
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Maine’s government is going to cover the cost of funerals for families who lost loved ones in the deadliest mass shooting in the state’s history, the office of Gov. Janet Mills said Wednesday.
An Army reservist opened fire inside a bowling alley and a bar in Lewiston, the second largest city in the state, on Oct. 25. The shootings killed 18 people, wounded 13 and sent the city into a lockdown until the man’s body was discovered two days later. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot.
Funerals for victims of the shootings began late last week. The administration “is working to ensure that the families of victims do not have to bear any financial costs for the funerals of their loved ones,” said Ben Goodman, a spokesperson for the Democratic governor.
The state is getting the money from a victim’s compensation program run through the attorney general’s office, and supplementing it with money from the governor’s contingent account, Goodman said.
The shootings rocked the state, which is well known for high levels of gun ownership and low levels of violent crime. The victims included a shipbuilder, a sign language interpreter and a 14-year-old bowler and his father. The state’s deaf community was hit especially hard by the shooting and lost four members.
The Lewiston community is grieving two weeks after the shooting took place, and other cities and towns around Maine have offered an outpouring of support. Signs that say “Pray for Lewiston” and “Lewiston Strong” are common in Portland, the largest city in the state, located 35 miles away. Lewiston was also visited by President Joe Biden last week.
Three injured patients remained in stable condition at Central Maine Medical Center on Tuesday, representatives for the hospital said.
Mills also announced this week that the U.S. Small Business Administration has approved a request to make financial assistance available to Maine businesses that were impacted by the shootings. Businesses in Lewiston and the nearby communities of Lisbon and Bowdoin closed in accordance with a shelter-in-place order issued while authorities searched for the shooter.
“SBA stands ready to help Maine’s small business owners impacted by the mass shooting in Lewiston, which tragically took lives and disrupted neighborhoods,” said Isabel Casillas Guzman, administrator of the small business administration.
veryGood! (82)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Power conferences join ACC in asking a Florida court to keep the league’s TV deals with ESPN private
- Here’s what you should know about Donald Trump’s conviction in his hush money trial
- 'Star Wars' boss calls out 'male dominated' fan base's 'personal' attacks on women stars
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Trump trial jury continues deliberations in hush money case
- Crews race to restore power across Texas ahead of another round of storms
- Emotions expected to run high during sentencing of woman in case of missing mom Jennifer Dulos
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 'Station 19' series finale brings ferocious flames and a flash forward: Here's our recap
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- NCAA baseball tournament bracket, schedule, format on road to College World Series
- 1.5 million Medline portable bed rails recalled after 2 women killed at care facilities
- Angelina Jolie and Daughter Vivienne Make Red Carpet Appearance Alongside Kristen Bell
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Sarah McLachlan struggled to find musical inspiration as a 'wealthy, middle-aged white woman'
- Jennie Garth Shares How Body Image Struggles Have Led to Unhealthy Habits
- Jimmy Kimmel reacts to Trump guilty verdict: 'Donald Trump's diaper is full'
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
'Star Wars' boss calls out 'male dominated' fan base's 'personal' attacks on women stars
Dakota Fanning Shares Reason She and Sister Elle Fanning Aren't Competitive About Movie Roles
The Age of the Rhinestone Cowgirl: How Beyoncé brings glitz to the Wild Wild West
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Death penalty in the US: Which states still execute inmates, who has executed the most?
Elizabeth Warren warns of efforts to limit abortion in states that have protected access
Ex-mayor in West Virginia admits theft of funds from a hospital where he was CEO