Current:Home > reviewsKing Charles III and Queen Camilla Pulled Away From Public Appearance After Security Scare -GrowthInsight
King Charles III and Queen Camilla Pulled Away From Public Appearance After Security Scare
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-05 23:33:02
King Charles III and Queen Camilla’s royal engagement took a slight turn.
While visiting St. Helier in Jersey as part of their two-day visit to the Channel Islands July 15, the couple was pulled away by their security detail due to a small issue of concern, E! News has learned. After an investigation, the incident turned out to be a false alarm and their schedule resumed afterwards.
E! News has reached out to Buckingham Palace for comment.
Shortly after their appearance was cut short, a local business owner detailed their conversation, noting that the King was moments away from stopping to chat.
“Then his security appeared and grabbed me and said, ‘He has to go, now,’” Matt Taylor, founder of Jersey Sea Salt, told the Telegraph. “He didn’t seem panicked, but he was quite stern. They just ushered him out. It’s a shame as he’d stopped to chat to us of his own accord.”
The King and Queen's visit to Jersey is an unprecedented one, since according to the BBC, it serves as the first time a British monarch has visited the islands in 19 years.
King Charles' recent engagement also serves as his latest in his return to royal duties after announcing his cancer diagnosis earlier this year. In April, Buckingham Palace announced the 75-year-old would resume his duties "after a period of treatment and recuperation."
"Their Majesties remain deeply grateful for the many kindnesses and good wishes," the April 26 statement shared to social media read, "they have received from around the world throughout the joys and challenges of the past year."
Keep reading for more royal news around the world.
The Princess Royal was discharged after a five-day stay at Southmead Hospital. Her husband, Tim Laurence, said in a statement, "I would like to extend my warmest thanks to all the team at Southmead Hospital for their care, expertise and kindness during my wife’s short stay."
The younger sister of King Charles III sustained minor injuries during an incident at her estate Gatcombe Park, Buckingham Palace has announced.
"Her Royal Highness remains in Southmead Hospital, Bristol, as a precautionary measure for observation and is expected to make a full and swift recovery," the June 24 statement, shared to X, read. "The King has been kept closely informed and joins the whole Royal Family in sending his fondest love and well-wishes to The Princess for a speedy recovery."
Nearly three months after sharing her cancer diagnosis, the Princess of Wales said that she's "making good progress" with chemotherapy, though there are "good days and bad days" amid her health journey.
"On those bad days you feel weak, tired and you have to give in to your body resting," Kate wrote on Instagram June 14. "But on the good days, when you feel stronger, you want to make the most of feeling well."
She added, "My treatment is ongoing and will be for a few more months. On the days I feel well enough, it is a joy to engage with school life, spend personal time on the things that give me energy and positivity, as well as starting to do a little work from home."
On May 13, King Charles III bestowed the title of Colonel-in-Chief of the Army Air Corps to his oldest son, sparking controversy as many royal watchers believed the title would be more suited for Prince Harry, who trained and served in the military branch.
On April 26, nearly three months after sharing his cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles will return to public-facing duties.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (186)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Art and war: Israeli and Palestinian artists reflect on Oct.7 and the crisis in Gaza
- Protesters calling for cease-fire in Israel-Hamas war block traffic in Seattle
- Michael Bolton reveals he's recovering from a successful brain tumor removal
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- A minibus explodes in Kabul, killing at least 2 civilians and wounding 14 others
- Christian Oliver's Wife Pays Tribute to Actor and Kids After They're Killed in Plane Crash
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Makes Red Carpet Debut a Week After Prison Release
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 7 Palestinians, an Israeli policewoman and a motorist are killed in West Bank violence
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- FBI arrests 3 in Florida on charges of assaulting officers in Jan. 6 insurrection
- Over 100 evacuate Russia’s Belgorod while soldiers celebrate Orthodox Christmas on the front line
- 3 years to the day after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, 3 fugitives are arrested in Florida
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- 'There were no aliens': Miami police clarify after teen fight spawns viral conspiracy theory
- Glynis Johns, known for her role as Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins, dead at 100
- Track star, convicted killer, now parolee. A timeline of Oscar Pistorius’s life
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
DeSantis’ State of the State address might be as much for Iowa voters as it is for Floridians
A Pentagon mystery: Why was Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s hospital stay kept secret for days?
Wrexham’s Hollywood owners revel in the team’s latest big win in FA Cup
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Russian shelling kills 11 in Donetsk region while Ukraine claims it hit a Crimean air base
The Perry school shooting creates new questions for Republicans in Iowa’s presidential caucuses
Volunteers work to bring pet care to rural areas with veterinary shortages