Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:Prosecutors to dismiss charges against Minnesota trooper who shot motorist Ricky Cobb -GrowthInsight
Poinbank:Prosecutors to dismiss charges against Minnesota trooper who shot motorist Ricky Cobb
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:00:36
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Prosecutors plan to dismiss murder and Poinbankmanslaughter charges against a white Minnesota state trooper who fatally shot Ricky Cobb II, a Black motorist, as Cobb tried to pull away from a traffic stop, saying the decision comes in response to recent statements from the trooper’s attorney and new analysis of video from the scene.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty filed a notice to dismiss the charges after Trooper Ryan Londregan’s defense team revealed prospective testimony during an April court hearing that the trooper believed Cobb was reaching for a firearm — and that a Minnesota State Patrol trainer said he never instructed officers to refrain from shooting into a moving vehicle.
The evidence would have made it impossible for prosecutors to prove that Londregan’s actions were not an authorized use of force by a peace officer, the county attorney’s office said in a statement released Sunday.
Referring to the decision to drop the charges, Londregan’s attorney, Chris Madel, told the Star Tribune, “It’s about goddamn time. That’s going to be about my only on the record comment.”
Bakari Sellers, an attorney representing Cobb’s family, told the Star Tribune the family was disappointed with prosecutors.
“They got bullied. There’s no other way around it,” Sellers said.
Londregan, 27, pleaded not guilty May 15 in the death of Cobb, and his trial was set to begin Sept. 9.
Troopers pulled the 33-year-old Cobb over on Interstate 94 in Minneapolis last July 31 because the lights were out on his car. They then found that the Spring Lake Park man was wanted for violating a protection order in neighboring Ramsey County. Londregan shot Cobb twice as Cobb tried to drive away after troopers ordered him to get out of his car.
Prosecutors and a law enforcement expert reviewed footage from the scene and found that, as Londregan’s partner clung to the passenger’s door, Cobb moved his hand upward. Cobb did have a gun in the vehicle. Moriarty told the Star Tribune there is still no evidence he intended to grab it but that the defense team’s statements caused prosecutors to reconsider the evidence through a new lens.
“They could have told us that before we charged it, they could have told us that at any time,” she said. “And that is information that we would have considered — and obviously have considered.”
Law enforcement and Republican leaders had been calling on Democratic Gov. Tim Walz to take the case away from Moriarty, a former public defender who was elected on a platform of police accountability following the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis officer in 2020, and turn it over to Democratic Attorney General Keith Ellison. Walz had expressed concern about the direction of the case but had not acted.
Cobb’s family filed a federal civil rights lawsuit in April, alleging that the stop and the shooting were unjustified.
Moriarty plans to hold a news conference Monday morning to discuss her decision to dismiss the charges in more detail.
veryGood! (98)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Wisconsin babysitter charged with killing family’s chihuahua is facing up to 4 years in prison
- Police seize weapons, explosives from a home in northern Greece
- Fans Think Travis Kelce Did This Sweet Gesture for Taylor Swift After Chiefs Championship Game
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- South Korea says North Korea fired cruise missiles in 3rd launch of such weapons this month
- France’s government prepares new measures to calm farmers’ protests, with barricades squeezing Paris
- 2024 Super Bowl is set, with the Kansas City Chiefs to face the San Francisco 49ers
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- 'No place like home': Dying mobster who stole 'Wizard of Oz' ruby slippers won't go to prison
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Back home in Florida after White House bid ends, DeSantis is still focused on Washington’s problems
- Illinois election board to consider whether to boot Trump from ballot over insurrection amendment
- Gambling busts at Iowa State were the result of improper searches, athletes’ attorneys contend
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- New FBI report finds 10% of reported hate crimes occurred at schools or college campuses in 2022
- Prince Harry’s lawyers seek $2.5 million in fees after win in British tabloid phone hacking case
- Reported hate crimes at schools and colleges are on the rise, new FBI report says
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Why Pilot Thinks He Solved Amelia Earhart Crash Mystery
Philippines and Vietnam agree to cooperate on the disputed South China Sea as Marcos visits Hanoi
Ex-Peruvian intelligence chief pleads guilty to charges in 1992 massacre of six farmers
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Recalled cinnamon applesauce pouches were never tested for lead, FDA reports
Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva received a 4-year ban. Her team's Olympic gold medal could go to Team USA.
Trial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year