Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says -GrowthInsight
Surpassing:Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:27:13
Survivors rescued from a deflating rubber dinghy in the central Mediterranean Sea have Surpassingreported that some 60 people who departed Libya with them a week ago perished during the journey, the humanitarian rescue group SOS Mediterranee said Thursday.
The European charity's ship Ocean Viking spotted the dinghy with 25 people on board Wednesday. Two were unconscious, and were evacuated by the Italian military for treatment. The other 23 were in serious condition, exhausted, dehydrated and with burns from fuel on board the boat.
"After yesterday's rescue of 25 people in very weak health condition, a medical evacuation took place in cooperation with the Italian Coast Guards," said SOS Mediterranee in an update shared Thursday on social media. The two unconscious people could not be roused by members of the rescue team and were flown by helicopter to Sicily, the group said.
SOS Mediterranee spokesperson Francesco Creazzo said that the survivors were all male, 12 of them minors with two of those not yet teenagers. They were from Senegal, Mali and The Gambia.
Creazzo said the survivors were traumatized and unable to give full accounts of what had transpired during the voyage. Humanitarian organizations often rely on accounts of survivors when pulling together the numbers of dead and missing at sea, presumed to have died.
The survivors' boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before the rescue, SOS Mediterranee said.
"Their engine broke after 3 days, leaving their boat lost adrift without water and food for days," the group shared in another social media post. Citing survivors, that update noted that "at least 60 people perished on the way, including women and at least one child."
The U.N. International Organization for Migration says 227 people have died along the perilous central Mediterranean route this year through March 11, not counting the new reported missing and presumed dead. That's out of a total 279 deaths in the Mediterranean since Jan. 1. A total of 19,562 people arrived in Italy using that route in the period.
Last year, about 100 migrants were rescued after a dangerously overcrowded fishing boat sunk in the Mediterranean near the coast of Greece. At least 82 people were killed and hundreds more were never found, according to officials. The tragedy shined a light on the notorious, risky journey across the Mediterranean that thousands of migrants undertake every month in hopes of reaching Europe. Tunisia and Libya are two main departure points.
- In:
- Libya
- Migrants
- Mediterranean Sea
veryGood! (8)
Related
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- I Have Hundreds of Lip Liners, Here Are My Top Picks Starting at $1— MAC, NYX, and More
- Judge says Canada’s use of Emergencies Act to quell truckers’ protests over COVID was unreasonable
- Christopher Eccleston alleges A-list actress falsely accused him of 'copping a feel' on set
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- How do you stop Christian McCaffrey and other burning questions for NFC championship
- Fire at Washington seafood facility destroys hundreds of crab pots before season opener
- Sharon Stone, artist
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Jennifer Lopez's Chin-Grazing Bob Is Her Most Drastic Hair Change Yet
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Two Virginia men claim $1 million prizes from New Year's raffle
- Kansas lawmakers want a report on last year’s police raid of a newspaper
- Netflix’s gains 13M new global 4Q subscribers as it unwraps its best-ever holiday season results
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- The 2024 Oscar Nominations Are Finally Here
- Illinois shootings leave 8 people killed; suspect dead of self-inflicted gunshot in Texas, police say
- Capturing art left behind in a whiskey glass
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Flyers goalie Carter Hart taking an indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons
Outgoing North Dakota Gov. Burgum sees more to do for the ‘underestimated’ state
Retired Georgia mascot Uga X dies. 'Que' the bulldog repped two national champion teams.
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
South African police arrest a man who says he started a fire that left 76 dead to hide a killing
Selena Gomez Shares Body Positive Message With Swimsuit Photos
Will Ravens TE Mark Andrews play in Sunday's AFC title game vs. Chiefs?