Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Peter Navarro's trial on charges of contempt of Congress set to begin -GrowthInsight
SafeX Pro:Peter Navarro's trial on charges of contempt of Congress set to begin
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 21:07:12
Washington — A top trade adviser during the Trump administration is SafeX Proset to stand trial this week for two counts of criminal contempt of Congress after prosecutors alleged he willfully and illegally refused to respond to subpoenas for documents and testimony from the now-defunct House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack.
Jury selection in Peter Navarro's criminal trial is set to begin Tuesday when a federal judge has said he intends to clear at least 50 potential jurors from a group of Washington, D.C. residents to fill just over a dozen seats on the final jury panel.
Despite years of legal wrangling and briefing schedules between prosecutors and defense attorneys, Navarro's trial is only set to last days as prosecutors successfully argued that he should be barred from employing certain explanations that he said were crucial to his defense.
The Jan. 6 committee initially subpoenaed Navarro in Feb. 2022 for records and testimony as part of its investigation into efforts to reverse the outcome of the 2020 presidential election. After he refused to comply with the requests, Congress voted to refer the matter to the Justice Department. Navarro was then indicted on two counts of criminal contempt of Congress. He pleaded not guilty.
Congressional investigators at the time were interested in efforts by Navarro and others to postpone the Electoral College certification of the 2020 presidential election, a plan they allegedly referred to as the "Green Bay Sweep."
Navarro's defense team, which includes a former Trump criminal defense attorney and three lawyers currently involved in the special counsel's classified documents probe, argued their client should be permitted to tell the jury that the former president told him to invoke executive privilege protections against the subpoena. But prosecutors argued — and Judge Amit Mehta ultimately agreed — that there was no evidence that former President Donald Trump formally worked to shield Navarro from the committee. Navarro is consequently not permitted to present the privilege as evidence at trial.
"It was clear during that call that privilege was invoked, very clear," Navarro told the judge at a hearing last week, describing a 2022 call he said he and Trump had about the committee's subpoena. The defense, however, was unable to provide any documented evidence that the privilege was officially invoked, a defect that Navarro's legal team acknowledged.
Navarro has indicated the issue will be the subject of future appeals and litigation, telling reporters last week he should not have been compelled to testify at all because he was a senior White House adviser.
Tuesday's proceedings mark the beginning of the Justice Department's second criminal trial tied to the expired select committee. Last year, Trump adviser and former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon was found guilty of two counts of criminal contempt of Congress. He was sentenced to four months in jail, but he is currently out of prison as his defense team appeals the conviction based on a legal dispute of their own.
The committee referred to other Trump aides — Mark Meadows and Dan Scavino — to the Justice Department for contempt charges, but the government ultimately declined to prosecute them.
Navarro has consistently spoken out against his prosecution and unsuccessfully petitioned Mehta to dismiss the charges against him.
If convicted, he faces a maximum of a year in prison and a $100,000 fine for each count.
- In:
- Donald Trump
veryGood! (88)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- What are sound baths and why do some people swear by them?
- Video shows 7 people being rescued after seaplane crashes near PortMiami: Watch
- Powerball winning numbers for Feb. 24 drawing: Jackpot rises to over $370 million
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- 'Oppenheimer' looks at the building of the bomb, and its lingering fallout
- Alpha Artificial Intelligence AI4.0 - Destined to be a Revolutionary Tool in the Investment World
- Billie Eilish autographs Melissa McCarthy's face with Sharpie during SAG Awards stunt
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- ‘Burn Book’ torches tech titans in veteran reporter’s tale of love and loathing in Silicon Valley
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- Barbra Streisand Will Make You Believe in Movie Magic with SAG Life Achievement Speech
- ‘Burn Book’ torches tech titans in veteran reporter’s tale of love and loathing in Silicon Valley
- Pretty Little Liars' Shay Mitchell Praises Pregnant Ashley Benson Amid Her Journey to Motherhood
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- A private island off the Florida Keys for sale at $75 million: It includes multiple houses
- ‘Burn Book’ torches tech titans in veteran reporter’s tale of love and loathing in Silicon Valley
- 2024 SAG Awards: Glen Powell Reacts to Saving Romcoms and Tom Cruise
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
8 killed after head-on crash in California farming region
Electric school buses finally make headway, but hurdles still stand
From 'The Holdovers' to 'Past Lives,' track your Oscar movie watching with our checklist
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Florida mom describes rescue after being held captive by estranged husband: I'd been pulled from hell
Cody Bellinger is returning to the Cubs on an $80 million, 3-year contract, AP source says
What recession? Professional forecasters raise expectations for US economy in 2024