Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-First Lahaina residents return home to destruction after deadly wildfires -GrowthInsight
Oliver James Montgomery-First Lahaina residents return home to destruction after deadly wildfires
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 23:05:08
For the first time since the deadly wildfire on Oliver James MontgomeryAug. 8, some Lahaina residents will be allowed back into their homes Monday morning in what is expected to be an emotional day in the historic Maui town.
Residents and business owners in some of the first zones to be cleared by the Environmental Protection Agency will be allowed to go into the destruction area with escorts.
Officials warn that the neighborhoods they once called home may be almost unrecognizable.
"I think some people will have a hard time even saying 'this is my property. I can't recognize it anymore,'" said Darryl Oliveira, the interim administrator of the Maui Emergency Management Agency, in a Thursday press conference.
He continued, "So we want to really support them in this process."
About 464 properties have been cleared by the EPA so far. More than 2,200 structures were damaged in the blazes.
MORE: Remembering Lahaina: Family loses ancestral home in the Maui wildfires
Residents will be escorted to the disaster area for the first two visits, so officials, cultural leaders, mental health and healthcare specialists and others can offer support.
"Some [residents] might be looking for closure with recovering personal effects, even right down to if they lost the loved one that is unaccounted for, maybe the collection of something that would give them closure as a memento of that person's passing," said Oliveira.
At least 97 people have been declared dead, with tens of others deemed unaccounted for.
Visitation will be limited to those who are residents and those who are affiliated with properties, as well as anyone needed to accommodate visitors such as insurance adjusters or faith-based leaders for support.
MORE: Lahaina's Filipino community 'bracing for the worst' in Maui wildfire recovery efforts
"We're just trying to have a system that we can manage and ensure the right people are going in," said Oliveira. "Again, it's with the utmost respect for the residents and property owners who need to go in, need to have that moment of closure, need that time to grieve.
Residents can then return on their own during their third visit.
Officials said personal protective equipment will be given out, including coveralls, booties, respirators and N95 masks.
West Maui is set to open on Oct. 8, the second-month mark of the wildfire. The decision from local officials has sparked outraged among some residents, who have yet to revisit their destroyed homes and are still displaced.
veryGood! (27934)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Two-thirds of buyers would get a haunted house, Zillow survey finds
- Why Denise Richards Doesn't Want Daughter Sami Sheen to Get a Boob Job
- Kids return to school, plan to trick-or-treat as Maine communities start to heal from mass shooting
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Mississippi attorney general says 3 police shootings were justified
- DNA leads to murder charge in cold case in Germany nearly 45 years after retiree was bludgeoned to death
- UN forum says people of African descent still face discrimination and attacks, urges reparations
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- A pilot has been indicted for allegedly threatening to shoot the captain if the flight was diverted
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Gaza’s phone and internet connections are cut off again, as Israeli troops battle Hamas militants
- Snake caught in Halloween decoration with half-eaten lizard rescued by wildlife officials
- Mary Lou Retton issues statement following pneumonia hospitalization: I am forever grateful to you all!
- Average rate on 30
- Wildfire fanned by Santa Ana winds forces thousands from their homes outside L.A.
- Does candy corn kill 500,000 Americans each Halloween? Yes, according to a thing I read.
- US consumers feeling slightly less confident in October for 3rd straight month
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
The Missing Equations at ExxonMobil’s Advanced Recycling Operation
Selena Gomez takes social media hiatus as Israel-Hamas war intensifies: 'My heart breaks'
Effort underway to clear the names of all accused, convicted or executed for witchcraft in Massachusetts
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Woman plans trip to Disney after winning Michigan Lottery game Lucky For Life
Rangers one win away from first World Series title after monster Game 4 vs. Diamondbacks
Pope presses theologians to be in tune with challenges of daily life and talk with non-believers