Current:Home > StocksJudge blocks Trump lawyers from arguing about columnist’s rape claim at upcoming defamation trial -GrowthInsight
Judge blocks Trump lawyers from arguing about columnist’s rape claim at upcoming defamation trial
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:53:49
NEW YORK (AP) — A judge late Saturday said former President Donald Trump’s lawyers can’t present legal arguments to a jury assessing damages at a defamation trial on a jury’s conclusion last year that he didn’t rape a columnist in the mid-1990s.
U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan made the determination in an order in advance of a Jan. 16 trial to determine defamation damages against Trump after a jury concluded Trump sexually abused columnist E. Jean Carroll but did not find evidence was sufficient to conclude that he raped her.
Trump, speaking in Iowa on Saturday as the Republican frontrunning presidential candidate in advance of a Jan. 15 primary, criticized the judge as a “radical Democrat” and mocked E. Jean Carroll for not screaming when she was attacked. “It was all made up,” he said.
Carroll, 80, won a $5 million award last May from a jury that concluded Trump sexually abused her in 1996 in a luxury department store dressing room and defamed her in 2022.
Trump did not attend the Manhattan trial where Carroll testified that a chance encounter at a Bergdorf Goodman store across the street from Trump Tower was flirtatious and fun until he slammed her against a wall in a dressing room and attacked her sexually. Trump has vehemently denied it.
In this month’s trial, a jury will consider whether damages should be levied against Trump for remarks he made after last year’s verdict and in 2019 while he was president after Carroll spoke publicly for the first time about her mid-1990s claims in a memoir.
Carroll’s lawyers had asked the judge to issue the order, saying that Trump’s attorneys should not be allowed to confuse jurors this month about last year’s verdict by trying to argue that the jury disbelieved Carroll’s rape claim.
They said the jury’s finding reflected its conclusion that Trump had forcibly and without consent digitally penetrated Carroll’s vagina, which does not constitute rape under New York state law but which constitutes rape in other jurisdictions.
Carroll’s lawyers said the “sting of the defamation was Mr. Trump’s assertions that Ms. Carroll’s charge of sexual abuse was an entirely untruthful fabrication and one made up for improper or even nefarious reasons.”
A lawyer for Trump did not immediately return a message Saturday.
Carroll is seeking $10 million in compensatory damages and substantially more in unspecified punitive damages at the trial. She will testify and Trump is listed as a witness. The trial is expected to last about a week.
Meanwhile, Trump has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in four indictments, two of which accuse him of seeking to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, as well as a classified documents case and charges that he helped arrange a payoff to porn actor Stormy Daniels to silence her before the 2016 presidential election.
veryGood! (9523)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Gangs in Haiti launch fresh attacks, days after a new prime minister is announced
- How to Apply Skincare in the Right Order, According to TikTok's Fave Dermatologist Dr. Shereene Idriss
- The Best Mother’s Day Gifts for All the Purrr-Fect Cat Moms Who Are Fur-Ever Loved
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- What are PFAS? 'Forever chemicals' are common and dangerous.
- 'SNL' announces season's final guests, including Sabrina Carpenter and Jake Gyllenhaal
- A $5,000 check won by Billie Jean King 50 years ago helped create Women’s Sports Foundation
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Billy Idol says he's 'California sober': 'I'm not the same drug addicted person'
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- New Mexico mother accused of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly starve to death
- 'Closed for a significant period': I-95 in Connecticut shut down in both directions
- Ryan Gosling 'blacked out' doing a 12-story drop during filming for 'The Fall Guy' movie
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Sixers purchase, plan to give away Game 6 tickets to keep Knicks fans out
- Cops in nation's capital draw ire, support for staying away from campus protest
- PGA Tour winner and longtime Masters broadcaster Peter Oosterhuis dies at age 75
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Dodgers hit stride during nine-game road trip, begin to live up to expectations
Proof Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky's Cutest Family Moments Are Always in Fashion
Biden Administration Awards Wyoming $30 Million From New ‘Solar for All’ Grant
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Maui sues cell carriers over wildfire warning alerts that were never received during service outages
Yellen says threats to democracy risk US economic growth, an indirect jab at Trump
A tornado hit an Oklahoma newsroom built in the 1920s. The damage isn’t stopping the presses