Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Congo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says -GrowthInsight
Chainkeen Exchange-Congo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 18:14:27
ABUJA,Chainkeen Exchange Nigeria (AP) — Congo’s security forces and rebel groups have agreed on a 72-hour cease-fire to de-escalate tensions in the country’s eastern region near the border with Rwanda, the White House announced just days before Congo’s presidential election.
The agreement was backed by both Congo and Rwanda, Adrienne Watson, a spokeswoman for the White House National Security Council, said in a statement Monday.
It said the agreement includes the withdrawal of forces occupying the locality of Mushaki and the RP1030 road in eastern Congo. The region has struggled with violent conflict for decades and armed groups fight either for control of mineral resources or to defend their communities. The most prominent is the M23 rebel group with links to Rwanda.
Neither Congo nor Rwanda has publicly commented on the cease-fire, which the White House said would also help “advance the implementation of the confidence-building measures to protect civilians” as Congo prepares for the Dec. 20 presidential election.
“The U.S. Government will use its intelligence and diplomatic resources to monitor the activities by armed forces and non-state armed groups during the cease-fire,” the statement added.
M23 rose to prominence 10 years ago when its fighters seized Goma, eastern Congo’s largest city on the border with Rwanda. Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi has often blamed Rwanda for destabilizing Congo by backing the rebels. U.N. experts have linked the rebels to Rwandan forces, but Rwanda denies it.
Tshisekedi, who seeks reelection as he faces several other candidates, had earlier said rebel-controlled territories might not participate in the vote for security reasons.
The top United Nations official in Congo warned on Monday that tensions between Congo and Rwanda have escalated, heightening the risk of a military confrontation. Congo’s government also insists on the withdrawal of U.N. and regional peacekeeping forces from the region, saying they’re ineffective, and some have started to leave the country.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Elderly couple found dead after heater measures over 1,000 degrees at South Carolina home, reports say
- Hunters find human skull in South Carolina; sheriff vows best efforts to ID victim and bring justice
- National power outage map: Over 400,000 outages across East Coast amid massive winter storm
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Wink Martindale's status with Giants in limbo: What we know after reports of blow-up
- Glassdoor unveils the best places to work in 2024. Here are the top 10 companies.
- 2 young boys, brothers ages 6 and 8, die after falling into icy pond in Wisconsin: Police
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- France’s youngest prime minister is a rising political star who follows in Macron’s footsteps
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Small-town Nebraska voters remove school board member who tried to pull books from libraries
- Man facing federal charges is charged with attempted murder in shooting that wounded Chicago officer
- ‘3 Body Problem’ to open SXSW, ‘The Fall Guy’ also to premiere at Austin festival
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Secret tunnel found in NYC synagogue leads to 9 arrests after confrontation
- Bachelor Host Jesse Palmer and Wife Emely Fardo Welcome First Baby
- Volunteer Connecticut firefighter hailed as hero for quick action after spotting house fire
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Small-town Nebraska voters remove school board member who tried to pull books from libraries
Trump can't deliver closing argument in New York civil fraud trial, judge rules
Mega Millions January 9 drawing: No winners, jackpot climbs to $187 million
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
‘Obamacare’ sign-ups surge to 20 million, days before open enrollment closes
Why oil in Guyana could be a curse
Secret tunnel found in NYC synagogue leads to 9 arrests after confrontation