Current:Home > ContactRekubit-FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings -GrowthInsight
Rekubit-FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 00:48:18
RUIDOSO,Rekubit N.M. (AP) — Full-time residents of Ruidoso will be allowed to return to their village Monday morning as federal authorities seek to prosecute whoever started a pair of New Mexico wildfires that killed two people and destroyed or damaged more than 1,400 structures.
The FBI said it is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrests and convictions of those responsible for the South Fork Fire and Salt Fire in southern New Mexico, which forced thousands to flee.
The federal agency also said it was seeking public assistance in identifying the cause of the fires discovered June 17 near the village of Ruidoso.
But the notice also pointedly suggested human hands were to blame, saying the reward was for information leading to the arrest and conviction of “the person or persons responsible for starting the fires.
Lincoln County Manager Randall Camp said at a news conference Saturday that “we are approaching a thousand homes lost” in the fires.
President Joe Biden issued a disaster declaration for parts of southern New Mexico on Thursday. The move freed up funding and more resources to help with recovery efforts including temporary housing, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property and other emergency work in Lincoln County and on lands belonging to the Mescalero Apache Tribe.
The National Interagency Fire Center said the South Fork Fire, which reached 26 square miles (67 square kilometers), was 31% contained Sunday. It said the Salt Fire that has spread over 12 square miles (31 square kilometers) was now 7% contained.
Both fires had been at zero containment Friday. Full containment isn’t expected until July 15, according to fire officials.
More than 1,100 firefighters continued to fight the flames in steep and rocky terrain Sunday.
The South Fork and Salt fires are still burning on both sides of Ruidoso and a threat of flash floods still looms over the village.
Authorities said downed power lines, damaged water, sewer and gas lines plus flooding in burn scars continued to pose risks to firefighters and the public.
New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham toured some of the disaster area Saturday with Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Deanne Criswell.
Even with federal and state assistance on the table, Ruidoso Mayor Lynn Crawford estimates it could take at least five years for the area to fully recover.
Ruidoso officials said those wanting to return home Monday must bring drinking water and at least a week’s worth of food. They warned residents that homes may be without gas, electricity or water.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- There are even more 2020 election defamation suits beyond the Fox-Dominion case
- The Oakland A's are on the verge of moving to Las Vegas
- Bud Light sales dip after trans promotion, but such boycotts are often short-lived
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- CNN announces it's parted ways with news anchor Don Lemon
- Love Island’s Ekin-Su Cülcüloğlu and Davide Sanclimenti Break Up
- 'Let's Get It On' ... in court
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- ESPN announces layoffs as part of Disney's moves to cut costs
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Inside Hilarie Burton and Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Incredibly Private Marriage
- Cynthia Nixon Weighs In On Chances of Kim Cattrall Returning for More And Just Like That Episodes
- Love Island’s Ekin-Su Cülcüloğlu and Davide Sanclimenti Break Up
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- In the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Unintended Consequences of ‘Fortress Conservation’
- Twitter once muzzled Russian and Chinese state propaganda. That's over now
- Inside Clean Energy: Batteries Got Cheaper in 2021. So How Close Are We to EVs That Cost Less than Gasoline Vehicles?
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
And Just Like That, Sarah Jessica Parker Shares Her Candid Thoughts on Aging
The hidden history of race and the tax code
1000-Lb Sisters Star Tammy Slaton Mourns Death of Husband Caleb Willingham at 40
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Well, It's Still Pride Is Reason Enough To Buy These 25 Rainbow Things
New Mexico Wants it ‘Both Ways,’ Insisting on Environmental Regulations While Benefiting from Oil and Gas
YouTuber Colleen Ballinger’s Ex-Husband Speaks Out After She Denies Grooming Claims