Current:Home > MyEx-Smash Mouth vocalist Steve Harwell enters hospice care, 'being cared for by his fiancée' -GrowthInsight
Ex-Smash Mouth vocalist Steve Harwell enters hospice care, 'being cared for by his fiancée'
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:10:01
Steve Harwell, former lead vocalist of the rock band Smash Mouth, is in hospice care, USA TODAY has learned.
Robert Hayes, a longtime manager of Harwell and the band, told USA TODAY on Sunday that the 56-year-old singer is "resting at home" and "being cared for by his fiancée and hospice care." The rep adds that the family is asking for "privacy during this difficult time."
TMZ, which was the first outlet to report the news, reported Harwell has "reached the final stage of liver failure" due to alcohol abuse throughout his life.
In October 2021, Harwell announced his retirement from the band following a fumbled performance at a beer and wine festival. During an appearance with the band at The Big Sip in New York, a video of Harwell slurring his speech, cursing at the audience, and making a gesture that resembled a Nazi salute, became viral.
Following the performance, his reps at the time said in a news release that the video had "been taken out of context" to misrepresent the singer. In a statement to USA TODAY, Harwell's reps then revealed that the frontman had been battling health issues for the past eight years stemming from his diagnosis with cardiomyopathy.
'We are the Shrek band':Smash Mouth's Paul DeLisle embraces 'All Star' legacy 20 years later
The heart disease led to "serious medical setbacks" for Harwell, including heart failure and acute Wernicke encephalopathy, the latter of which affected his speech and memory. Harwell "suffered numerous symptoms" from his medical condition during his performance in 2021, according to his rep.
"I've tried so hard to power through my physical and mental health issues and to play in front of you one last time, but I just wasn't able to," Harwell said in the news release.
"Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of being a rock star, performing in front of sold-out arenas, and have been so fortunate to live out that dream," Harwell continued. "To my bandmates, it's been an honor performing with you all these years, and I can’t think of anyone else I would have rather gone on this wild journey with. I cannot wait to see what Smash Mouth accomplishes next and am looking forward to counting myself as one of the band's newest fans."
Smash Mouth burst onto the scene in the late 1990s with the release of the band’s major-label debut, "Fush Yu Mang," which went on to sell two million copies. The album's follow-up, "Astro Lounge," featured the Billboard Hot 100 hit "All Star." The band also contributed to the soundtrack of the animated film "Shrek" in 2001.
'He lived his life like a song':Jimmy Buffett, 'Margaritaville' singer and mogul, dies
Contributing: Edward Segarra, Cydney Henderson, USA TODAY
veryGood! (454)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Mistrial declared for Texas officer in fatal shooting of unarmed man that sparked outcry
- Officer fires gun in Atlanta hospital while pursuing vehicle theft suspect
- New Jersey to allow beer, wine deliveries by third parties
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Buying an electric car or truck? Don't ignore the cost of wiring your home for EV charging
- He was told his 9-year-old daughter was dead. Now she’s believed to be alive and a hostage in Gaza
- New report outlines risks of AI-enabled smart toys on your child's wish list
- Trump's 'stop
- Powerful earthquake shakes southern Philippines; no tsunami warning
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Prices fall, unemployment rises and Boomers have all the houses
- Nicki Minaj announces Pink Friday 2 Tour: What you need to know, including tickets, dates
- Nation's top auto safety regulator misses deadline on potentially life-saving new rules for vehicle seats
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Former state lawmaker charged with $30K in pandemic unemployment benefits fraud
- The Good Samaritan is also a lobsterman: Maine man saves person from sinking car
- Moms for Liberty reports more than $2 million in revenue in 2022
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Charissa Thompson saying she made up sideline reports is a bigger problem than you think
RHOBH's Garcelle Beauvais Weighs in on Kyle Richards & Mauricio Umansky's Really Sad Separation
Donald Glover says fans will be 'shocked' by 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' TV series
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Dean Phillips' new campaign hire supported dismantling Minneapolis Police Department after death of George Floyd
Defeated Virginia candidate whose explicit videos surfaced says she may not be done with politics
IBM pulls ads from Elon Musk’s X after report says they appeared next to antisemitic posts