Current:Home > ScamsNHL reinstates Bowman, Quenneville after being banned for their role in Blackhawks assault scandal -GrowthInsight
NHL reinstates Bowman, Quenneville after being banned for their role in Blackhawks assault scandal
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:51:01
The NHL lifted its ban on longtime coach Joel Quenneville and executives Stan Bowman and Al MacIsaac on Monday, clearing the way for their return to the league more than two years after they were punished in the fallout from the Chicago Blackhawks sexual assault scandal.
Bowman, MacIsaac and Quenneville can sign contracts with an NHL team after July 10.
“For more than the last two and a half years, these individuals have been ineligible to work for any NHL team as a result of their inadequate response upon being informed in 2010 of allegations that Blackhawks’ player Kyle Beach had been assaulted by the club’s video coach,” the league said, “While it is clear that, at the time, their responses were unacceptable, each of these three individuals ... has acknowledged that and used his time away from the game to engage in activities which not only demonstrate sincere remorse for what happened, but also evidence greater awareness of the responsibilities that all NHL personnel have, particularly personnel who are in positions of leadership.”
The scandal rocked the Blackhawks in October 2021 and had ripple effects across the league.
An independent investigation commissioned by the Blackhawks concluded that team officials mishandled allegations raised by Beach during the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2010. Quenneville, the former Chicago coach and second on the all-time wins list to Scotty Bowman, resigned from his job as coach of the Florida Panthers.
Bowman, Scotty’s son and Chicago’s general manager and hockey operations president, left his job as did top team executive MacIsaac. The league said each since “has made significant strides in personal improvement by participating in myriad programs, many of which focused on the imperative of responding in effective and meaningful ways to address alleged acts of abuse.”
The NHL fined the Blackhawks $2 million in the wake of the investigation, which was launched in response to two lawsuits filed against the franchise: one by a player identified as John Doe alleging sexual assault by then-video coach Brad Aldrich in 2010 and another filed by a former student whom Aldrich was convicted of assaulting in Michigan.
The report found no evidence that CEO Danny Wirtz or his father, Rocky, who owns the team, were aware of the allegations before the lawsuits. But the younger Wirtz said it was clear team executives had “put team performance above all else.”
Among other things, the scathing report found that in June 2010, after the team had won the Cup, video coach Brad Aldrich was given the option of resigning or being part of an investigation. Aldrich signed a separation agreement and no investigation was conducted. Aldrich received a severance and a playoff bonus, according to the report, and he was paid a salary “for several months.” He hosted the Stanley Cup for a day in his hometown.
The Blackhawks and Beach reached an undisclosed settlement in December 2021.
___
AP NHL: https://www.apnews.com/hub/NHL
veryGood! (621)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Warming Trends: Heat Indexes Soar, a Beloved Walrus is Euthanized in Norway, and Buildings Designed To Go Net-Zero
- Weak GOP Performance in Midterms Blunts Possible Attacks on Biden Climate Agenda, Observers Say
- The U.S. is expanding CO2 pipelines. One poisoned town wants you to know its story
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Don’t Miss the Chance To Get This $78 Lululemon Shirt for Only $29 and More Great Finds
- How AI could help rebuild the middle class
- 3 ways to protect your money if the U.S. defaults on its debt
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- European watchdog fines Meta $1.3 billion over privacy violations
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Vice Media, once worth $5.7 billion, files for bankruptcy
- US Firms Secure 19 Deals to Export Liquified Natural Gas, Driven in Part by the War in Ukraine
- It’s Happened Before: Paleoclimate Study Shows Warming Oceans Could Lead to a Spike in Seabed Methane Emissions
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Travel Stress-Free This Summer With This Compact Luggage Scale Amazon Customers Can’t Live Without
- At COP27, an 11th-Hour Deal Comes Together as the US Reverses Course on ‘Loss and Damage’
- See the Moment Meghan Trainor's Son Riley Met His Baby Brother
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
More shows and films are made in Mexico, where costs are low and unions are few
Max streaming service says it will restore writer and director credits after outcry
Meta is fined a record $1.3 billion over alleged EU law violations
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Overwhelmed by Solar Projects, the Nation’s Largest Grid Operator Seeks a Two-Year Pause on Approvals
Ricky Martin and Husband Jwan Yosef Break Up After 6 Years of Marriage
Taco John's trademarked 'Taco Tuesday' in 1989. Now Taco Bell is fighting it