Current:Home > FinanceArkansas man sentenced to 5 1/2 years for firebombing police cars during 2020 protests -GrowthInsight
Arkansas man sentenced to 5 1/2 years for firebombing police cars during 2020 protests
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:55:09
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The ringleader of a group who admitted to firebombing several police cars in Arkansas during the 2020 protests over the killing of George Floyd has been sentenced to five and a half years in federal prison, while three of his co-defendants were sentenced to 18 months each.
A federal judge on Thursday sentenced Mujera Benjamin Lung’aho, a North Little Rock community organizer and activist who pleaded guilty in August to one count of malicious destruction of a vehicle by means of fire, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported Friday.
Emily Nowlin, Aline Espinosa-Villegas and Renea Goddard were also sentenced in the case on Thursday. A fourth defendant, Brittany Dawn Jeffrey, was sentenced last year to time served after 17 months in pre-trial detention for her involvement.
The defendants were charged in the firebombing and attempted firebombing of police cars in Little Rock, North Little Rock, Shannon Hills and the Arkansas State Police headquarters, and with defacing gravestones in Oakwood Historic Cemetery and a billboard.
All five were accused of damage inflicted on public property, including slashing tires, firebombing and attempting to firebomb police cars, that occurred during protests in the summer and fall over the police killings of Floyd and other Black people. Floyd’s death in Minneapolis sparked nationwide protests in 2020 over racial injustice and police brutality.
In addition to the prison sentences, Lung’aho will serve three years of supervised released while his co-defendants will serve a year and a half.
U.S. Attorney Jonathan D. Ross called the firebombings “a troubling escalation of gratuitous violence that seeks to stoke embers of anarchy in our community.”
“The Constitution protects our rights to peacefully assemble. But make no mistake, when you use violence to advance your agenda, the Department of Justice will make every effort to put you in prison,” Ross said in a statement after the sentences were handed down. “Anyone engaging in such criminal activity will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
In a lengthy statement, Lung’aho said his lack of apology was not because of a lack of remorse but “because there is a documented history” of people protesting “in the right way” but gaining little ground.
Lung’aho said his remorse was “for the effect my actions had on my community.” Lung’aho said he believed his actions were necessary to draw attention to what he believed were “injustices inflicted on the Black community.”
Before announcing his sentence, U.S. District Judge D.P. Marshall said that although Lung’aho’s actions did not qualify as violent crimes, “this was violent,” and he said the prosecution of Lung’aho was lawful.
“Our law cannot tolerate the violence that was engaged in,” he said. “I see nothing in the conduct of the United States contrary to the cause of justice.”
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- 'Power Rangers' actor Hector David Jr. accused of assaulting elderly man in Idaho
- 'Deadpool & Wolverine' is a blast, but it doesn't mean the MCU is back
- Body of 20-year-old North Carolina man recovered after 400-foot fall at Grand Canyon National Park
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Mexican singer Lupita Infante talks Shakira, Micheladas and grandfather Pedro Infante
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Share Rare Family Update During First Joint Interview in 3 Years
- Florida dad accused of throwing 10-year-old daughter out of car near busy highway
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Jonathan Majors breaks silence on Robert Downey Jr. replacing him as next 'Avengers' villain
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Gabby Thomas was a late bloomer. Now, she's favored to win gold in 200m sprint at Olympics
- Drunk driver was going 78 mph when he crashed into nail salon and killed 4, prosecutors say
- The Daily Money: Rate cuts coming soon?
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- JoJo Siwa Details Her Exact Timeline for Welcoming Her 3 Babies
- Who is Paul Whelan? What to know about Michigan man freed from Russia
- An 'asymmetrical' butt? Why Lululemon pulled its new leggings off shelves
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Olympic boxer at center of gender eligibility controversy wins bizarre first bout
Jimmer Fredette dealing with leg injury at Paris Olympics, misses game vs. Lithuania
Arkansas Supreme Court asked to disqualify ballot measure that would block planned casino
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
After Olympics, Turkey’s Erdogan seeks unity with Pope Francis against acts that mock sacred values
Olympic boxer at center of gender eligibility controversy wins bizarre first bout
Ballerina Farm Influencer Hannah Neeleman Slams “Attack on Her Family Lifestyle