Current:Home > reviewsPlan to attack soccer events during Paris Olympics foiled, French authorities say -GrowthInsight
Plan to attack soccer events during Paris Olympics foiled, French authorities say
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 14:31:53
A plan to attack soccer events during the Paris Olympics was foiled by security authorities in France, officials said.
Gerald Darmanin, the interior minister in France, said in a statement that an 18-year-old man from Chechnya was arrested on May 22 on suspicion of being behind a plan to attack soccer events planned in the southeastern city of Saint-Etienne, about 260 miles south of Paris.
French authorities raised preliminary terrorism charges against the man, who they accuse of planning a "violent action" on behalf of the Islamic State group's jihadist ideology, the national counterterrorism prosecutor's office said in a statement later on Friday. The man is being held in custody pending further investigation.
According to the initial investigation, the man was preparing an attack targeting the Geoffroy-Guichard stadium in the city of Saint-Etienne which will host several soccer matches during the Summer Games.
The planned attack was to target spectators and police forces, the statement said. The suspect wanted to attack the Olympic events "to die and become a martyr," the statement also said.
Darmanin, the interior minister, did not cite a specific security threat against the soccer event, but has said there are multiple potential threats, including those from Islamic extremist groups, violent environmental activists, far-right groups and cyberattacks from Russia or other adversaries.
The Paris Olympics organizing committee said it was made aware of the arrest and praised intelligence and security services. ''Security is the highest priority of Paris 2024. We are working daily in close coordination with the Interior Ministry and all stakeholders — and will continue to be fully mobilized,'' it said in a statement.
The Paris Olympics will run from July 26-Aug. 11. Soccer matches will be played in cities across France before the final in Paris' Stade de France.
France is on its highest alert level for attacks ahead of the games as 10 million visitors and some 10,000 athletes are expected to arrive in the country.
Many concerns are focused on the opening ceremony on July 26, which will take place on a 4-mile stretch of the Seine River. It will be the first time a summer Olympics begins outside an athletics stadium.
In April, French President Emmanuel Macron said the opening ceremony could be moved instead to the country's national stadium if the security threat is deemed too high.
Macron said France's law enforcement forces will be mobilized at an exceptional level for the security of the open-air event, "but if we think there are risks, depending on our analysis of the context, we have fallback scenarios."
Organizers had originally planned a grandiose opening ceremony for as many as 600,000 people, most watching free of charge from riverbanks. But security and logistical concerns have led the government to progressively scale back its ambitions. Earlier this year, the overall number of spectators was reduced to around 300,000.
The French government also decided that tourists won't be given free access to watch the opening ceremony because of security concerns. Free access will be invitation-only instead.
- In:
- Olympics
- France
- Soccer
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Massachusetts Democrat Elizabeth Warren seeks third term in US Senate against challenger John Deaton
- Abortion and open primaries are on the ballot in Nevada. What to know about the key 2024 measures
- West Virginians’ governor choices stand on opposite sides of the abortion debate
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Jonathan Haze, who played Seymour in 'The Little Shop of Horrors,' dies at 95: Reports
- Why are there no NBA games on the schedule today?
- A History of Presidential Pets Who Lived in the Lap of Luxury at the White House
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood have discussed living in Ireland amid rape claims, he says
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Independent US Sen. Angus King faces 3 challengers in Maine
- Nancy Mace tries to cement her hold on her US House seat in South Carolina
- 3-term Democratic lawmaker tries to hold key US Senate seat in GOP-friendly Montana
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Legislature’s majorities and picking a new state attorney general are on the Pennsylvania ballot
- A pivotal Nevada Senate race is unusually quiet for the battleground state
- Democrats hope to flip a reliably Republican Louisiana congressional seat with new boundaries
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Federal authorities investigating after 'butchered' dolphin found ashore New Jersey beach
The Sephora Savings Event Is Finally Open to Everyone: Here Are Products I Only Buy When They’re on Sale
GOP Rep. Andy Ogles faces a Tennessee reelection test as the FBI probes his campaign finances
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Democratic mayors in San Francisco and Oakland fight to keep their jobs on Election Day
In Maryland, competitive US House race focuses on abortion, economy and immigration
North Dakota’s lone congressman seeks to continue GOP’s decades-old grip on the governor’s post