Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Man who used megaphone to lead attack on police during Capitol riot gets over 7 years in prison -GrowthInsight
Fastexy:Man who used megaphone to lead attack on police during Capitol riot gets over 7 years in prison
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 18:52:28
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Washington state man who used a megaphone to orchestrate a mob’s attack on Fastexypolice officers guarding the U.S. Capitol was sentenced on Wednesday to more than seven years in prison.
U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth said videos captured Taylor James Johnatakis playing a leadership role during the Jan. 6, 2021, riot. Johnatakis led other rioters on a charge against a police line, “barked commands” over his megaphone and shouted step-by-step directions for overpowering officers, the judge said.
“In any angry mob, there are leaders and there are followers. Mr. Johnatakis was a leader. He knew what he was doing that day,” the judge said before sentencing him to seven years and three months behind bars.
Johnatakis, who represented himself with an attorney on standby, has repeatedly expressed rhetoric that appears to be inspired by the anti-government “ sovereign citizen ” movement. He asked the judge questions at his sentencing, including, “Does the record reflect that I repent in my sins?”
Lamberth, who referred to some of Johnatakis’ words as “gobbledygook,” said, “I’m not answering questions here.”
Prosecutors recommended a nine-year prison sentence for Johnatakis, a self-employed installer of septic systems.
“Johnatakis was not just any rioter; he led, organized, and encouraged the assault of officers at the U.S. Capitol on January 6,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing.
A jury convicted him of felony charges after a trial last year in Washington, D.C.
Johnatakis, 40, of Kingston, Washington, had a megaphone strapped to his back when he marched to the Capitol from then-President Donald Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally near the White House on Jan. 6.
“It’s over,” he shouted at the crowd of Trump supporters. “Michael Pence has voted against the president. We are down to the nuclear option.”
Johnatakis was one of the first rioters to chase a group of police officers who were retreating up stairs outside the Capitol. He shouted and gestured for other rioters to “pack it in” and prepare to attack.
Johnatakis shouted “Go!” before he and other rioters shoved a metal barricade into a line of police officers. He also grabbed an officer’s arm.
“The crime is complete,” Johnatakis posted on social media several hours after he left the Capitol.
He was arrested in February 2021. He has been jailed since November 2023, when jurors convicted him of seven counts, including obstruction of the Jan. 6 joint session of Congress that certified Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory. The jury also convicted him of assault and civil disorder charges.
Justice Department prosecutor Courtney Howard said Johnatakis hasn’t expressed any sincere remorse or accepted responsibility for his crimes on Jan. 6.
“He’s going so far as to portray himself as a persecuted victim.,” she said.
Lamberth said he received over 20 letters from Johnatakis, his relatives and friends. Some of his supporters don’t seem to know the full extent of Johnatakis’ crimes on Jan. 6, the judge added. He said he would order the clerk of court’s office to send all them copies of his prepared remarks during the sentencing hearing.
“There can be no room in our country for this sort of political violence,” Lamberth said.
Last April, Lamberth ordered a psychologist to examine Johnatakis and determine if he was mentally competent to stand trial. The judge ultimately ruled that Johnatakis could understand the proceedings and assist in his defense.
Approximately 1,350 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related federal crimes. Over 800 of them have been sentenced, with roughly two-thirds getting terms of imprisonment ranging from several days to 22 years.
veryGood! (4433)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Israel plans to build thousands more West Bank settlement homes after shooting attack, official says
- Why Blake Lively Says Her Nervous System “Feels Electrified” Since Having Kids
- Biden calls meeting with congressional leaders as shutdown threat grows
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Counting On's Jeremiah Duggar and Wife Hannah Welcome Baby No. 2
- Florida Man Games: See photos of the the wacky competitions inspired by the headlines
- Michigan man gets minimum 30 years in prison in starvation death of his disabled brother
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Mean Girls Joke That “Disappointed” Lindsay Lohan Removed From Digital Release
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 'American Idol' judges say contestant covering Billie Eilish's 'Barbie' song is 'best we've ever heard'
- Idaho to execute Thomas Creech, infamous serial killer linked to at least 11 deaths
- Beyoncé and the Houston Rodeo: What to know about the event and the singer's ties to it
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Mother of missing Wisconsin boy, man her son was staying with charged with child neglect
- Most-Shopped Celeb-Recommended Items This Month: Olivia Culpo, Kyle Richards, Zayn Malik, and More
- Tipped-over Odysseus moon lander, spotted by lunar orbiter, sends back pictures
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Political consultant behind fake Biden robocalls says he was trying to highlight a need for AI rules
Three-man, one-woman crew flies to Florida to prep for Friday launch to space station
Supreme Court takes up regulation of social media platforms in cases from Florida and Texas
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
When is forgetting normal — and when is it worrisome? A neuroscientist weighs in
U.S. Air Force member dies after setting himself on fire outside Israeli Embassy in Washington in apparent protest against war in Gaza
West Virginia Senate passes bill that would remove marital exemption for sexual abuse