Current:Home > FinanceNorth Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots -GrowthInsight
North Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 11:30:12
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina judge refused to take Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s name off presidential ballots in the battleground state on Thursday, a day before the first batches of November absentee ballots are slated to be sent to registered voters who requested them.
Wake County Superior Court Judge Rebecca Holt denied the temporary restraining order sought by Kennedy to prevent county elections boards from distributing ballots affixed with his name and requiring it to be removed. State law directs the first absentee ballots for the Nov. 5 elections be mailed to requesters starting Friday. A Kennedy attorney said the decision would be appealed and Holt gave him 24 hours, meaning counties likely won’t send out ballots immediately Friday morning.
Kennedy got on the ballot in July as the nominee of the new We The People party created by his supporters. The elections board gave official recognition to the party after it collected enough voter signatures. But Kennedy suspended his campaign two weeks ago and endorsed Republican nominee Donald Trump. Since then the environmentalist and author has tried to get his name removed from ballots in several states where the race between Trump and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris are expected to be close.
In North Carolina, Kennedy and We The People of North Carolina wrote to the board asking for his name be withdrawn. But on a party-line vote Aug. 29 the board’s Democratic members denied the party’s request, calling it impractical given the actions already completed to begin ballot distribution on Sept. 6. Kennedy sued the next day.
North Carolina is slated to be the first state in the nation to distribute fall election ballots. County elections offices were expected Friday to send absentee ballots to more than 125,000 in-state and military and overseas voters who asked for them. And over 2.9 million absentee and in-person ballots overall had already been printed statewide as of Wednesday, state elections Executive Director Karen Brinson Bell said in an affidavit.
The process of reprinting ballots without Kennedy’s name and reassembling ballot requests would take at least two weeks, state attorneys said, threatening to miss a federal requirement that ballots be released to military and overseas voters by Sept. 21. But Kennedy lawyer Phil Strach argued in court that Kennedy complied with state law by presenting a written request to step down as the candidate, and that there’s another law allowing the ballot release be delayed under this circumstance. Otherwise, Kennedy’s free-speech rights in the state constitution forcing him to remain on the ballot against his will have been violated, Strach told Holt.
“This is very straight forward case about ballot integrity and following the law,” Strach said, adding that keeping Kennedy on the ballot would bring confusion to voters who thought he was no longer a candidate.
But Special Deputy Attorney General Carla Babb said the confusion would occur if ballot distribution was delayed, potentially forcing the state to have to seek a waiver of the Sept. 21 federal deadline. State laws and regulations gave the elections board the ability to reject Kennedy’s withdrawal based on whether it was practical to have the ballots reprinted, she said.
“Elections are not just a game and states are not obligated to honor the whims of candidates for office,” Babb told Holt.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
In rejecting Kennedy’s request, Holt said that while the harm imposed upon Kennedy for staying on ballots is minimal, the harm to the state board with such an order would be substantial, such as the reprinting of ballots at considerable cost to taxpayers.
While Kennedy was still an active candidate, the North Carolina Democratic Party unsuccessfully challenged in court the state board’s decision to certify We The People as a party.
Kennedy on Wednesday sued in Wisconsin to get his name removed from the presidential ballot there after the state elections commission voted to keep him on it. Kennedy also filed a lawsuit in Michigan but a judge ruled Tuesday that he must remain on the ballot there.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Weeks after tragic shooting, Apalachee High reopens Monday for students
- Video shows missing Louisiana girl found by using thermal imaging drone
- US troops finish deployment to remote Alaska island amid spike in Russian military activity
- Bodycam footage shows high
- A lawsuit challenging a South Dakota abortion rights measure will play out after the election
- Detroit Red Wings, Moritz Seider agree to 7-year deal worth $8.55 million per season
- 'I gotta see him go': Son of murdered South Carolina woman to attend execution
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- The cause of a fire that injured 2 people at a Louisiana chemical plant remains under investigation
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 50 years after ‘The Power Broker,’ Robert Caro’s dreams are still coming true
- Attorney Demand Letter Regarding Unauthorized Use and Infringement of [SUMMIT WEALTH Investment Education Foundation's Brand Name]
- Meet Travis Hunter: cornerback, receiver, anthropology nerd and lover of cheesy chicken
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Playoff baseball in Cleveland: Guardians clinch playoff spot in 2024 postseason
- Patriots vs. Jets score, highlights: Aaron Rodgers leads New York to blowout win
- Highway crash injures 8 Southern California firefighters
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Krispy Kreme brings back pumpkin spice glazed doughnut, offers $2 dozens this weekend
Porn-making former University of Wisconsin campus leader argues for keeping his teaching job
Dallas pastor removed indefinitely due to 'inappropriate relationship' with woman, church says
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Philadelphia officer who died weeks after being shot recalled as a dedicated public servant
Black Mirror Season 7 Cast Revealed
Authorities were warned that gunman was planning to attack Yellowstone facility