Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election -GrowthInsight
Indexbit Exchange:Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 15:12:00
DAKAR,Indexbit Exchange Senegal (AP) — Mutinous soldiers in Gabon said Wednesday they were overturning the results of a presidential election that was to extend the Bongo family’s 55-year hold on power.
The central African country’s election committee announced that President Ali Bongo Ondimba, 64, had won the election with 64% of the vote early Wednesday morning. Within minutes, gunfire was heard in the center of the capital, Libreville.
A dozen uniformed soldiers appeared on state television later the same morning and announced that they had seized power.
“We reaffirm our commitment to respecting Gabon’s commitments to the national and international community,” said a spokesperson for the group, whose members were drawn from the gendarme, the republican guard and other factions of the security forces.
Bongo was seeking a third term in elections this weekend. He served two terms since coming to power in 2009 after the death of his father, Omar Bongo, who ruled the country for 41 years. Another group of mutinous soldiers attempted a coup in January 2019, while Bongo was in Morocco recovering from a stroke, but they were quickly overpowered.
In the election, Bongo faced an opposition coalition led by economics professor and former education minister Albert Ondo Ossa, whose surprise nomination came a week before the vote.
There were concerns about post-election violence, due to deep-seated grievances among the population of some 2.5 million. Nearly 40% of Gabonese ages 15-24 were out of work in 2020, according to the World Bank.
After last week’s vote, the Central African nation’s Communications Minister, Rodrigue Mboumba Bissawou, said on state television that there would be a nightly curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. He said internet access was being restricted indefinitely as there had been calls for violence and efforts to spread disinformation.
Every vote held in Gabon since the country’s return to a multi-party system in 1990 has ended in violence. Clashes between government forces and protesters following the 2016 election killed four people, according to official figures. The opposition said the death toll was far higher.
Fearing violence, many people in the capital went to visit family in other parts of the country before the election or left Gabon altogether. Others stockpiled food or bolstered security in their homes.
___
Associated Press reporters Cara Anna in Nairobi Kenya and Jamey Keaton in Geneva Switzerland contributed.
veryGood! (37555)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- The ANC party that freed South Africa from apartheid loses its 30-year majority in landmark election
- Jennifer Lopez cancels 2024 tour This Is Me: 'Completely heartsick and devastated'
- Run, Don’t Walk to J. Crew Factory’s Swim & Short Sale With Cute One Pieces, Bikinis & More up to 60% Off
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Marian Robinson, mother of Michelle Obama, dies at 86
- Drew Brees said he could have played another three years in NFL if not for arm trouble
- Biden says Israel has extended new cease-fire proposal
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Drew Brees said he could have played another three years in NFL if not for arm trouble
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Dance Moms Alum Kelly Hyland Reveals How Her Kids Are Supporting Her Through Cancer Treatments
- Anal sex is stigmatized due to homophobia, experts say. It's time we start talking about it.
- Marco Troper, son of former YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, died from an accidental overdose
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Retired 4-star Navy admiral allegedly awarded government contract in exchange for job
- South Korea court orders SK Group boss to pay a record $1 billion divorce settlement
- Whistleblower lawsuit alleges retaliation by Missouri House speaker
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Bisons catcher Henry hit by backswing, hospitalized; Triple-A game is called after ‘scary incident’
Mike Tyson-Jake Paul fight postponed due to Tyson’s ulcer flare-up
6-week-old baby fatally mauled in crib by family dog in Tennessee
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Don’t throw out that old iPhone! Here’s where you can exchange used tech for dollars
Trump may face travel restrictions in some countries after his New York conviction
In historic move, Vermont becomes 1st state to pass law requiring fossil fuel companies to pay for climate change damages