Current:Home > Invest2nd trial in death of New York anti-gang activist ends in mistrial -GrowthInsight
2nd trial in death of New York anti-gang activist ends in mistrial
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 14:49:28
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — The second trial of a New York woman accused of causing the death of an anti-gang activist in a dispute over a memorial honoring the activist’s slain daughter has ended in a mistrial after jurors failed to reach a verdict on the top count of criminally negligent homicide.
Jurors on Long Island deadlocked Monday after four days of deliberations in the case of Annmarie Drago, accused of fatally running over Evelyn Rodriguez in 2018. Drago was found guilty of one misdemeanor count of petit larceny for stealing a bouquet and other items from the memorial that Rodriguez had set up to honor her teenage daughter, Kayla Cuevas.
Newsday reported that neither Drago not defense attorney Matthew Hereth commented after the mistrial was declared Monday in a courtroom in Suffolk County.
Drago was convicted in Rodriguez’s death in 2020, but the conviction was overturned last year and the judge ordered a new trial, citing prosecutorial misconduct.
Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said after the second trial ended Monday with no verdict on the homicide charge that he is prepared to retry the case yet again.
In September 2018, Rodriguez had set up the memorial in front of Drago’s mother’s house ahead of a vigil to mark the two-year anniversary of the discovery of 16-year-old Kayla’s body at the property.
Drago, who was trying the sell the house, had dismantled the memorial because she didn’t want to scare off buyers. That led to a confrontation between the two women.
Prosecutors said Drago caused Rodriguez’s death when she drove over her with her SUV. The defense argued that a step Rodriguez took to the left just as Drago accelerated caused her foot to get stuck under the front driver’s-side tire.
Rodriguez had become a symbol in the fight against gang violence after Kayla was hacked and beaten to death along with a friend in 2016. Authorities believe the girls were victims of the MS-13 gang.
veryGood! (3786)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- What Nikki Garcia's Life Looks Like After Filing for Divorce From Artem Chigvintsev
- DirecTV will buy rival Dish to create massive pay-TV company after yearslong pursuit
- Jordan Love injury update: Packers will start veteran quarterback in Week 4 vs. Vikings
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 'SNL' returns with Jim Gaffigan as Tim Walz, Dana Carvey as President Biden
- Horoscopes Today, September 28, 2024
- Biden says he hopes to visit Helene-impacted areas this week if it doesn’t impact emergency response
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Epic flooding in North Carolina's 'own Hurricane Katrina'
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- California wildfire flareup prompts evacuation in San Bernardino County
- Josh Allen's fresh approach is paying off in major way for Bills
- Death of Stanford goalie Katie Meyer in 2022 leads to new law in California
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Rashee Rice's injury opens the door for Travis Kelce, Xavier Worthy
- Alabama football's freshman receiver Ryan Williams is only 17, but was old enough to take down Georgia
- How often should you wash your dog? Bathe that smelly pup with these tips.
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Yankees' Anthony Rizzo fractures fingers in season's penultimate game
Goldie Hawn Reveals NSFW Secret to Long-Lasting Relationship With Kurt Russell
Adrien Brody reveals 'personal connection' to 3½-hour epic 'The Brutalist'
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
US retailers brace for potential pain from a longshoremen’s strike
Why Lionel Messi did Iron Man celebration after scoring in Inter Miami-Charlotte FC game
Mega Millions winning numbers for September 27 drawing; jackpot at $93 million