Current:Home > NewsF1 driver Esteban Ocon to join American Haas team from next season -GrowthInsight
F1 driver Esteban Ocon to join American Haas team from next season
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 11:30:06
KANNAPOLIS, North Carolina (AP) — Frenchman Esteban Ocon will drive for Haas from next season as a replacement for Kevin Magnussen, the American Formula 1 team said on Thursday.
Details of the deal were not announced, with Haas only saying that the 27-year-old driver committed to a “multi-year contract starting with the 2025 FIA Formula 1 World Championship.”
Ocon, the only driver to win a race for Alpine since it rebranded from Renault at the end of 2020, has picked up just three points this season and had already announced he was leaving the French-owned team. His Alpine contract is expiring at the end of the season.
Ocon made his F1 debut in 2016 with Manor and joined the then-Renault team for 2020. His sole career win came at the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2021 for Alpine after a crash in wet conditions took out much of the field.
“I am thrilled to embark on this new chapter in my Formula 1 career,” Ocon said.. “I’ll be joining a very ambitious racing team, whose spirit, work ethic, and undeniable upward trajectory has really impressed me.”
Haas announced last week that Magnussen would leave Haas at the end of the season when his contract expires.
On the eve of the Belgian Grand Prix, team principal Ayao Komatsu said Ocon will bring crucial experience to the team after 19-year-old Oliver Bearman also joined. The British driver will take the seat vacated by German driver Nico Hulkenberg, who is joining Sauber at the end of the year ahead of its rebranding to Audi for 2026.
“I think we have a hungry, dynamic driver pairing,” Komatsu said.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (3)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Mega Millions winning numbers for February 27 drawing as jackpot passes $600 million
- Box of hockey cards found at home sells for $3.7m, may contain Wayne Gretzky rookie cards
- LeBron James is Bronny's Dad first, and he shows his experience is guiding light
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Big Little Lies Fans: Get Your First Look at Liane Moriarty’s Next Show Apples Never Fall
- More than 330,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees are recalled to fix steering wheel issue
- AI chatbots are serving up wildly inaccurate election information, new study says
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Wear the New Elegant Casual Trend with These Chic & Relaxed Clothing Picks
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- South Carolina’s push to be next-to-last state with hate crimes law stalls again
- Motive in killing of Baltimore police officer remains a mystery as trial begins
- Bradley Cooper Shares He’s Not Sure He Would Be Alive If Not for Daughter Lea
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Boston Celtics misidentify Lauren Holiday USWNT kit worn by Jrue Holiday
- Thomas Kingston, son-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II's cousin, dies at 45: 'A great shock'
- FBI offers $15,000 reward in case of missing Wisconsin boy
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Kelly Osbourne Reveals She’s Changing Son Sidney’s Last Name After “Biggest Fight” With Sid Wilson
'Sopranos' star Drea de Matteo says OnlyFans 'saved' her after vaccine stance lost her roles
FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried’s lawyer asks judge to reject 100-year recommended sentence
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Nationwide Superfund toxic waste cleanup effort gets another $1 billion installment
Supreme Court grapples with whether to uphold ban on bump stocks for firearms
A new Wendy Williams documentary raises more questions than it answers