Current:Home > reviewsStandoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension -GrowthInsight
Standoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:29:57
Fences have been mended between the Indianapolis Colts and running back Jonathan Taylor.
The Colts and Taylor agreed to a three-year, $42 million contract extension, including $26.5M guaranteed, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
The deal makes Taylor one of the NFL’s highest-paid running backs.
Taylor is slated to make his season debut Sunday when the Colts take on the Tennessee Titans in Indianapolis. The running back had been on the PUP list to begin the season due to an ankle injury.
Saturday’s extension marks an end to a lengthy saga between Taylor and the Colts. Owner Jim Irsay, who engaged in war of words with Taylor's agent Malki Kawa, took to X to announce his excitement over the news.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Taylor had requested a trade this offseason after the two sides failed to reach an extension in what was a difficult offseason for running backs attempting to cash in. The Colts acquiesce to Taylor’s trade ask but the organization didn’t find another team that met their trade demands. Taylor was subsequently placed on the PUP-list, which requires players to miss at least four games.
The Colts activated Taylor from the PUP-list Saturday and simultaneously news broke of his lucrative extension.
Why did Colts gave Jonathan Taylor three-year, $42 million contract extension?
Taylor is easily the Colts best player on offense, even with promising rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson. Taylor was the NFL rushing leader (1,811) and led the league in rushing touchdowns (18) in 2021. He was also named a first-team All-Pro after the 2021 season. He has produced 3,841 rushing yards and 33 rushing touchdowns in 43 career games.
Taylor’s return to the backfield will ease the burden off Richardson and also form a dynamic combination with the dual-threat rookie quarterback.
"I know he's a great player and I know I can do some things pretty well," Richardson said to reporters this week. "Just trying to combine those two things, I can only imagine what it's like but we won't see until it actually happens. We'll see and I'm excited."
The Colts drafted Taylor in the second round of the 2020 NFL draft out of Wisconsin.
Follow USA TODAY Sports' Tyler Dragon on X @TheTylerDragon.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Gena Rowlands, celebrated actor from A Woman Under the Influence and The Notebook, has Alzheimer's, son says
- Missouri governor vetoes school safety initiative to fund gun-detection surveillance systems
- JBLM servicemen say the Army didn’t protect them from a doctor charged with abusive sexual contact
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Katherine Schwarzenegger Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 3 With Chris Pratt
- What to know about water safety before heading to the beach or pool this summer
- Video shows a meteotsunami slamming Lake Michigan amid days of severe weather. Here's what to know.
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- A mother’s pain as the first victim of Kenya’s deadly protests is buried
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- New Jersey passes budget that boosts taxes on companies making over $10 million
- 'The Bear' Season 3 finale: Is masterful chef Carmy finally cooked?
- Gilmore Girls' Keiko Agena Reveals Her Dream Twist For Lane Kim and Dave Rygalski
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Ten Commandments. Multiple variations. Why the Louisiana law raises preferential treatment concerns
- Driver charged with DUI for New York nail salon crash that killed 4 and injured 9
- Film and TV crews spent $334 million in Montana during last two years, legislators told
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Bolivian army leader arrested after apparent coup attempt
Biden struggles early in presidential debate with hoarse voice
Watch: Jalen Brunson, Tyrese Haliburton face off during 'WWE SmackDown'
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Former American Ninja Warrior Winner Drew Drechsel Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Child Sex Crimes
Starbucks introduces caffeinated iced drinks. Flavors include melon, tropical citrus
Texas Opens More Coastal Waters for Carbon Dioxide Injection Wells