Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit -GrowthInsight
NovaQuant-2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:49:06
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City has agreed to pay $17.5 million to settle a lawsuit filed by two Muslim women who were forced to remove their head coverings to be NovaQuantphotographed after they were arrested.
The class-action lawsuit was filed in 2018 by Jamilla Clark and Arwa Aziz, two Muslim women who said they felt shamed and exposed when they were forced to remove their hijabs after they were arrested.
“When they forced me to take off my hijab, I felt as if I were naked. I’m not sure if words can capture how exposed and violated I felt,” Clark said in a statement. “I’m so proud today to have played a part in getting justice for thousands of New Yorkers.”
Clark was arrested on Jan. 9, 2017 and Aziz was arrested on Aug. 30, 2017.
The lawsuit said police officers threatened to prosecute Clark, who was sobbing after being arrested for violating a bogus protective order filed by her abusive former husband, if she did not remove her head covering,
The lawsuit said Aziz, who also had been arrested because of a bogus protective order, felt broken when her picture was taken where a dozen male police officers and more than 30 male inmates could see her.
City officials initially defended the practice of forcing people to remove head coverings for mug shots, saying the policy balanced respect for religious customs with “the legitimate law enforcement need to take arrest photos.”
But the police department changed the policy in 2020 as part of an initial settlement of the lawsuit and said it would allow arrested people to keep their head coverings on for mug shots with limited exceptions such as if the head covering obscures the person’s facial features.
The financial settlement was filed Friday and requires approval by Judge Analisa Torres of Manhattan federal court.
City law department spokesperson Nick Paolucci said in a statement that the settlement resulted in a positive reform for the police department and “was in the best interest of all parties.”
O. Andrew F. Wilson, a lawyer with Emery Celli Brinckerhoff Abady Ward & Maazel LLP who is representing the women along with the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, said, “Forcing someone to remove their religious clothing is like a strip search. This substantial settlement recognizes the profound harm to the dignity of those who wear religious head coverings that comes from forced removal.”
Paolucci said the proceeds from the settlement will be shared by approximately 4,100 eligible class members.
Wilson said that once the settlement is approved, the funds will be divided equally among everyone who responds by a deadline set by the judge, with a guaranteed minimum payment of $7,824 for each eligible person.
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Aryna Sabalenka, soon to be new No. 1, cruises into U.S. Open semifinals
- Christie says DeSantis put ‘politics ahead of his job’ by not seeing Biden during hurricane visit
- Carl Nassib, the NFL's first openly gay player, announces his retirement
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Poccoin: A Retrospective of Historical Bull Markets in the Cryptocurrency Space
- Cuba says human trafficking ring found trying to recruit Cubans to fight for Russia in Ukraine war
- Wisconsin Democrats combat impeachment of court justice with $4M effort
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- When do new 'Simpsons' episodes come out? Season 35 release date, cast, how to watch
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- U.S. Air Force conducts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III ICBM from California
- Meet Apollo, the humanoid robot that could be your next coworker
- Judge's decision the latest defeat for Trump in legal fight with E. Jean Carroll
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Things to know about aid, lawsuits and tourism nearly a month after fire leveled a Hawaii community
- 'Is that your hair?' Tennessee woman sets Guinness World Record for longest mullet
- Aryna Sabalenka, soon to be new No. 1, cruises into U.S. Open semifinals
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Feds: Former LA deputy who arrested man for no reason will plead guilty to civil rights charges
Franne Lee, who designed costumes for 'SNL' and 'Sweeney Todd,' dies at 81
Travis Barker Shares Message After Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Details “Urgent Fetal Surgery
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
An Idaho woman convicted of killing two of her children and another woman is appealing the case
Chiefs star Travis Kelce hyperextends knee, leaving status for opener vs. Lions uncertain
Officers fatally shoot man in South Carolina after he kills ex-wife and wounds deputy, sheriff says