Current:Home > MarketsRafael Nadal to skip Wimbledon to prepare for Paris Olympics -GrowthInsight
Rafael Nadal to skip Wimbledon to prepare for Paris Olympics
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-05 22:49:20
Rafael Nadal will skip Wimbledon in July in order to prepare for the Olympic Games in Paris, which will be played on the clay courts at Roland Garros, the Spaniard said on Thursday.
Nadal, a record 14-time winner of the French Open, has been far from his best after returning from injuries and he exited the tournament at Roland Garros in the first round this year, losing in straight sets to eventual runner-up Alexander Zverev.
The 38-year-old missed almost all of 2023 with a hip problem and his comeback earlier this year was stalled by a muscle tear, before small nagging issues affected his preparation for the clay-court major.
"During my post match press conference at Roland Garros I was asked about my summer calendar and since then I have been practicing on clay. It was announced yesterday that I will play at the summer Olympics in Paris, my last Olympics," Nadal said.
"With this goal, we believe that the best for my body is not to change surface and keep playing on clay until then. It's for this reason that I will miss playing at the championships this year at Wimbledon.
"I am saddened not to be able to live this year the great atmosphere of that amazing event that will always be in my heart, and be with all the British fans that always gave me great support. I will miss you all."
Nadal, who won an Olympic singles gold medal in 2008 and a doubles gold in 2016, will team up with newly-crowned French Open champion Carlos Alcaraz to play doubles at the Olympics.
A two-time champion at Wimbledon, Nadal said he would continue his preparations for the Olympics by playing in the ATP 250 clay-court event in Bastad, Sweden that will be played from July 15.
The Paris Olympics run from July 26-Aug. 11.
veryGood! (8683)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Investigators looking into whether any of the Gilgo Beach murder victims may have been killed at home suspect shared with his family
- Surprise discovery: 37 swarming boulders spotted near asteroid hit by NASA spacecraft last year
- Kidnapped Texas girl rescued in California after holding up help me sign inside car
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- The Biden Administration Takes Action on Toxic Coal Ash Waste, Targeting Leniency by the Trump EPA
- Judge rules Fox hosts' claims about Dominion were false, says trial can proceed
- Former NFL Star Ryan Mallett Dead at 35 in Apparent Drowning at Florida Beach
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Yang Bing-Yi, patriarch of Taiwan's soup dumpling empire, has died
Ranking
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- The Best Neck Creams Under $26 to Combat Sagging Skin and Tech Neck
- SEC charges Digital World SPAC, formed to buy Truth Social, with misleading investors
- All of You Will Love All of Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Family Photos
- Average rate on 30
- The wide open possibility of the high seas
- Australia bans TikTok from federal government devices
- The Perseids — the best meteor shower of the year — are back. Here's how to watch.
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
The NBA and its players have a deal for a new labor agreement
Disney blocked DeSantis' oversight board. What happens next?
Define Your Eyes and Hide Dark Circles With This 52% Off Deal From It Cosmetics
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
The FDIC says First Citizens Bank will acquire Silicon Valley Bank
Australia bans TikTok from federal government devices
Biden Promised to Stop Oil Drilling on Public Lands. Is His Failure to Do So a Betrayal or a Smart Political Move?