Current:Home > ContactRekubit-The first wrongful-death trial in Travis Scott concert deaths has been delayed -GrowthInsight
Rekubit-The first wrongful-death trial in Travis Scott concert deaths has been delayed
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 21:46:24
HOUSTON (AP) — The Rekubitstart of the first civil trial stemming from the 2021 Astroworld festival, at which 10 people were killed in a crowd surge, has been delayed.
Jury selection had been set to begin next Tuesday in the wrongful-death lawsuit filed the family of Madison Dubiski, a 23-year-old Houston resident who was killed during the crowd crush at the Nov. 5, 2021, concert by rap superstar Travis Scott.
But Apple Inc., one of the more than 20 defendants going to trial next week, filed an appeal this week, automatically delaying the start of jury selection.
“Unless I hear differently, the trial is stayed,” state District Judge Kristen Hawkins said during a court hearing Thursday.
Apple, which livestreamed Scott’s concert, is appealing a ruling by Hawkins that denied the company’s motion to be dismissed from the case. Apple has argued that under Texas law, it can appeal Hawkins’ ruling because its defense claims are being made in part as a member of the electronic media.
Apple is arguing that in livestreaming Scott’s concert, it was acting as a member of the electronic media and its actions merit free speech protection.
“It remains our position that our conduct is protected by the First Amendment,” Kent Rutter, one of Apple’s attorneys, told Hawkins during a court hearing Thursday.
Hawkins said she hopes to hear from the appeals court by Monday, but there is no timetable for a decision.
Lawyers for Dubiski’s family have alleged that her death was caused by negligent planning and a lack of concern over capacity at the event. Her lawyers allege that how Apple placed its cameras around the concert site affected the placement of barriers and reduced available crowd space by the main stage.
Rutter argued that it was broadcasting an event “with significant public interest” and that by doing so, it was acting as a member of the media and gathering news.
But Jason Itkin, one of the attorneys for Dubiski’s family, said that Apple has described itself in business records as a company that makes smartphones and computers but doesn’t mention of news or news reporting. Itkin added that the company’s Apple News app is a subscription service that aggregates the stories of other news organizations.
“This is not a free speech case. They know that,” Itkin said.
During the hearing, Hawkins appeared skeptical about Apple’s claims about being a member of the electronic media, asking Rutter that if a livestream were set up in a zoo to watch animals, would that be news.
“Yes, it would be,” Rutter said.
Over 4,000 plaintiffs filed hundreds of lawsuits following the concert. Dubiski’s case had been chosen by attorneys in the litigation to be the first to go to trial. More than 20 defendants, including Scott, Apple and Live Nation, the festival’s promoter, had been set to go on trial Tuesday.
Following a police investigation, a grand jury last year declined to indict Scott, along with five others connected to the festival.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (88)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Don't dismiss Rick Barnes, Tennessee this March: Dalton Knecht could transcend history
- NHL races are tight with one month to go in regular season. Here's what's at stake.
- 'American Idol': Past contestant Alyssa Raghu hijacks best friend's audition to snag a golden ticket
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- An Alabama sculpture park evokes the painful history of slavery
- Brooke Burke Weighs In On Ozempic's Benefits and Dangers
- The Best Shoes for an Outdoor Wedding That Don't Sacrifice Style for Comfort
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Beauty YouTuber Jessica Pettway Dead at 36 After Cervical Cancer Battle
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Suspect in fatal shooting of New Mexico state police officer caught
- Patrick and Brittany Mahomes Share Glimpse at Courtside Date Night at NBA Game
- Supreme Court seems favorable to Biden administration over efforts to combat social media posts
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, March 17, 2024
- Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signs proclamation condemning antisemitism while vetoing bill defining it
- Man seeks clemency to avoid what could be Georgia’s first execution in more than 4 years
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Tallulah Willis, Bruce Willis' daughter, shares she was diagnosed with autism last year
Student at Alabama A&M University injured in shooting
Garrison Brown’s Close Friend Calls for Sister Wives To Be Canceled After His Death
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
2 dead, 5 wounded in mass shooting in Washington, D.C., police say
Social media influencer is charged with joining the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol
Jeff Lynne's ELO announce final tour: How to get tickets to Over and Out