Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-New Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlements -GrowthInsight
Indexbit-New Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlements
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:49:20
CONCORD,Indexbit N.H. (AP) — The New Hampshire Senate on Thursday passed legislation to greatly expand the scope of the out-of-court settlement process to compensate victims of abuse at the state’s youth detention center.
The state faces about 1,200 lawsuits alleging physical, sexual or emotional abuse stretching back six decades at the Sununu Youth Services Center, formerly called the Youth Development Center, in Manchester. As an alternative to litigation, lawmakers established a $100 million settlement fund with a two-year application period that started in January 2023, but most alleged victims have opted to go to court instead. The first trial is set to begin next month.
The Senate voted unanimously and without debate Thursday to make sweeping changes to the settlement process, including adding multiple new categories of abuse. Under the current system, former center residents can make claims based on sexual assault or first- and second-degree physical assault. The bill proposes allowing claims based on a slew of other crimes, including reckless conduct, criminal threatening, child endangerment, solitary confinement, unlawful strip search and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
The bill, which now goes to the House, also increases the cap on awards. Currently, victims of sexual assault are eligible for up to $1.5 million, while payments for physical abuse are limited to $150,000. If the bill passes, victims of “egregious sexual abuse” would be eligible for up to $2.5 million, victims of non-sexual abuse could get up to $250,000 and those claiming they were held in solitary confinement could get up to $100,000. The filing period for claims would be extended by six months to June 30, 2025.
Supporters have called it a compromise that will better serve victims while possibly protecting the state from astronomical jury awards. Lawyers representing nearly all of those who have filed lawsuits have said they will recommend the settlement option for most of their clients if the bill becomes law, though hundreds plan to continue litigation.
So far, 307 claims have been filed and 102 have been settled, with an average award of $492,000, Attorney General John Formella told lawmakers last month.
The scandal came to light in 2019 after two former workers were charged with abusing David Meehan, a former resident who filed the first lawsuit in 2020 and has gone public with his story. Eleven former workers are now facing criminal charges, with the first criminal trial and Meehan’s civil trial scheduled for April.
veryGood! (9152)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Alice Stewart, CNN political commentator, dies at 58
- Preakness Stakes payouts 2024: Complete betting results after Seize the Grey wins
- John Stamos posts rare pic of 'Full House' reunion with the Olsens on Bob Saget's birthday
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Mavericks advance with Game 6 win, but Thunder have promising future
- The Senate filibuster is a hurdle to any national abortion bill. Democrats are campaigning on it
- Greg Olsen embraces role as pro youth sports dad and coach, provides helpful advice
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- TikTokers swear they can shift to alternate realities in viral videos. What's going on?
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Preakness Stakes payouts 2024: Complete betting results after Seize the Grey wins
- ‘How do you get hypothermia in a prison?’ Records show hospitalizations among Virginia inmates
- Power expected to be restored to most affected by deadly Houston storm
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Nordstrom Rack's Top 100 Deals Include Major Scores Up to 73% Off: Longchamp, Free People & More
- Mega Millions winning numbers for May 17 drawing: Jackpot rises to $421 million
- The Best Beach Towels on Amazon That’re Quick-Drying and Perfect To Soak up Some Vitamin Sea On
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Sour Patch Kids Oreos? Peeps Pepsi? What’s behind the weird flavors popping up on store shelves
The Senate filibuster is a hurdle to any national abortion bill. Democrats are campaigning on it
Storms damage homes in Oklahoma and Kansas. But in Houston, most power is restored
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
These California college students live in RVs to afford the rising costs of education
John Stamos Shares Never-Before-Seen Full House Reunion Photo With Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
John Krasinski’s ‘IF’ hits a box office nerve with $35 million debut