Current:Home > ContactMasked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat -GrowthInsight
Masked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:16:37
The last of three masked men pleaded guilty to a failed attempt to extort $8.5 million from a wealthy Connecticut arts patron and her companion by threatening them with a deadly virus in a 2007 home invasion.
The 38-year-old Romanian citizen, Stefan Alexandru Barabas, had been on the run for about 15 years before finally being arrested as a fugitive in Hungary in 2022. He pleaded guilty last week to conspiracy to interfere with commerce by extortion, federal prosecutors announced.
Barabas is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 11 and could receive six to seven years in prison, if a plea agreement is accepted by the court, prosecutors said.
Three additional men in the case have already been convicted, including the two other masked intruders who prosecutors said entered the home in South Kent with Barabas brandishing fake guns. The men then bound and blindfolded millionaire philanthropist Anne Hendricks Bass and abstract artist Julian Lethbridge, injected them with a substance they claimed was a deadly virus and demanded the couple pay the $8.5 million or else be left to die.
After it became clear Bass and Lethbridge weren’t able to meet their demands, the men drugged the couple with a sleeping aid and fled in Bass’ Jeep Cherokee, prosecutors said.
The SUV was found abandoned at a Home Depot in New Rochelle, New York the next morning. Days later, an accordion case with a stun gun, 12-inch knife, a black plastic replica gun, a crowbar, syringes, sleeping pills, latex gloves and a laminated telephone card with the South Kent address was found washed ashore in Jamaica Bay, New York.
The accordion case and knife were eventually connected to the men, as well as a partial Pennsylvania license plate seen by a witness near Bass’ estate on the night of the home invasion, among other evidence.
Bass, credited with helping to raise the profile of ballet in the U.S., died in 2020. She was 78.
A message was left seeking comment from Lethbridge with a gallery that has shown his artwork.
In 2012, during the trial of Emanuel Nicolescu, one of the intruders and Bass’ former house manager that she had fired, Bass tearfully described thinking she was going to die the night the three men burst into the home she shared with Lethbridge.
Bass said she was taking care of her 3-year-old grandson that weekend and had just put the boy to bed when the break-in occurred, according to news reports.
“I heard war cries, a terrifying sound. I saw three men, dressed in black, charging up the stairs, almost like they were in military formation,” she testified.
She said the intruders then grabbed her, threw her onto the floor and tied up both she and Lethbridge. The men then injected the couple with a substance that turned out to be a benign liquid, according to news reports. Bass said the men had guns and knives but she never saw their faces during the hours-long ordeal.
Bass testified how she was traumatized for months by the attack, noting how she and Lethbridge had previously enjoyed spending weekends at the countryside home.
“Before the home invasion,” she said, “I felt quite comfortable being there by myself. I can’t stay there by myself anymore.”
veryGood! (433)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- The Daily Money: No diploma? No problem.
- Man arrested at Trump rally in Pennsylvania wanted to hang a protest banner, police say
- Break in the weather helps contain a wildfire near South Dakota’s second-biggest city
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Bachelorette’s Jenn Tran Details Her Next Chapter After Split From Devin Strader
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump and Harris zero in on economic policy plans ahead of first debate
- Kate Spade Outlet’s Rare Sale—Snag a $299 Sling Bag for $99 & More Under $100 Styles You Won’t Resist
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Justin Theroux Shares Ex Jennifer Aniston Is Still Very Dear to Him Amid Nicole Brydon Bloom Engagement
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Deion Sanders takes show to Nebraska: `Whether you like it or not, you want to see it'
- Michigan man wins long shot appeal over burglary linked to his DNA on a bottle
- Target brings back its popular car seat-trade in program for fall: Key dates for discount
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- ‘Fake heiress’ Anna Sorokin will compete on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ amid deportation battle
- Man plows into outside patio of Minnesota restaurant, killing 2 and injuring 4 others
- Takeaways from AP’s report on JD Vance and the Catholic postliberals in his circle of influence
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
A US Navy sailor is detained in Venezuela, Pentagon says
The Reason Jenn Tran and Devin Strader—Plus 70 Other Bachelor Nation Couples—Broke Up After the Show
'I thought we were all going to die': Video catches wild scene as Mustang slams into home
Travis Hunter, the 2
New Titanic expedition images show major decay. But see the team's 'exciting' discovery.
Many think pink Himalayan salt is the 'healthiest' salt. Are the benefits real?
New Hampshire GOP gubernatorial hopefuls debate a week ahead of primary