Current:Home > ScamsEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Judge says Nashville school shooter’s writings can’t be released as victims’ families have copyright -GrowthInsight
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Judge says Nashville school shooter’s writings can’t be released as victims’ families have copyright
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 07:16:56
NASHVILLE,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center Tenn. (AP) — The writings of the person who killed three 9-year-olds and three adults at a private Christian elementary school in Nashville last year cannot be released to the public, a judge ruled Thursday.
Chancery Court Judge I’Ashea Myles found that The Covenant School children and parents hold the copyright to any writings or other works created by shooter Audrey Hale, a former student who was killed by police. Hale’s parents inherited the works and then transferred ownership to the families.
Myles ruled that “the original writings, journals, art, photos and videos created by Hale” are subject to an exception to the Tennessee Public Records Act created by the federal Copyright Act.
The ruling comes more than a year after several groups filed public records requests for documents seized by Metro Nashville Police during their investigation into the March 2023 shooting.
The shooter left behind at least 20 journals, a suicide note and a memoir, according to court filings. When the records requests were denied, several parties sued, and the situation quickly ballooned into a messy mix of conspiracy theories, leaked documents, probate battles and accusations of ethical misconduct. Myles’ order will almost surely be appealed.
After the initial records requests last year, police said they would eventually release the documents but could not do so right away because their investigation was still open. The groups suing for the immediate release of the records — including news outlets, a gun rights group, a law enforcement nonprofit and Tennessee state Sen. Todd Gardenhire — argued that there was no meaningful criminal investigation underway since Hale, who police say acted alone, was dead.
Meanwhile, a group of Covenant parents was allowed to intervene in the case and argue that the records should never become public. They said the release would be traumatic for the families and could inspire copycat attacks.
As part of the effort to keep the records closed, Hale’s parents transferred ownership of Hale’s property to the parents’ group. Attorneys for the parents then argued they owned the copyright, further reason the records could not be released.
Also intervening in the case were The Covenant School and the Covenant Presbyterian Church, which shares a building. They argued the records should remain closed because their release could threaten their security.
The Associated Press is among the groups that requested the records but did participate in the lawsuit.
Part of the interest in the records stems from the fact that Hale, who police say was “assigned female at birth,” may have identified as a transgender man. Republican Sen. Josh Hawley, of Missouri, is among those who have promoted a theory that the shooting was a hate crime against Christians. The delay in releasing the writings fueled speculation — particularly in conservative circles — over what they might contain and conspiracy theories about why police wouldn’t immediately release them.
As the court case has dragged on, pages from one journal were leaked to a conservative commentator who posted them to social media in November. More recently, The Tennessee Star published dozens of stories based on allegedly 80 pages of Hale’s writings provided by an unnamed source. The publication is among the plaintiffs, and Myles briefly threatened to hold the paper’s editor-in-chief, Michael Leahy, and owner, Star News Digital Media, in contempt.
veryGood! (9413)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- What to know about the Lombardi Trophy, which is awarded to Super Bowl winner
- President Joe Biden to travel to East Palestine next week, a year after derailment
- Who performed at the Super Bowl 2024 halftime show? Here's a full list of performers
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Stunning photo of lone polar bear is a reminder: Melting ice is a real threat
- Reba McEntire Delivers Star-Spangled Performance at Super Bowl 2024
- Watch: Danny DeVito, Arnold Schwarzenegger reunite in State Farm Super Bowl commercial
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- What happens to the puppies after the Puppy Bowl? Adopters share stories ahead of the 2024 game
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- What to know about the Lombardi Trophy, which is awarded to Super Bowl winner
- $50K award offered for information about deaths of 3 endangered gray wolves in Oregon
- Rob Gronkowski Thinks Super Bowl Ticket Prices Are Ridiculous Even for NFL Players
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- How a Climate Group That Has Made Chaos Its Brand Got the White House’s Ear
- Driver sentenced to 25 years in deaths during New Jersey pop-up car rally
- Former officer pleads not guilty to murder in fatal police shooting
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
How long has Taylor Swift been dating Travis Kelce? The timeline of the whirlwind romance
Taylor Swift planning to watch Travis Kelce and the Chiefs play 49ers in the Super Bowl
Lizzo Debuts Good as Hell New Hairstyle at Super Bowl 2024
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Biden’s legal team went to Justice Dept. over what they viewed as unnecessary digs at his memory
‘Lisa Frankenstein’ fails to revive North American box office on a very slow Super Bowl weekend
Paul Rudd, Jay-Z and More Turn Super Bowl 2024 into a Family Game Night