Current:Home > ContactTrump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward -GrowthInsight
Trump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 04:42:02
Donald Trump on Thursday ruled out another presidential debate against Kamala Harris as her campaign announced a massive fundraising haul in the hours after the two candidates met on stage.
Trump, the Republican nominee, posted on Truth Social that “THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!” following Tuesday’s debate against Harris and his June debate against President Joe Biden. In rejecting another debate, the former president suggested that a “prizefighter” who loses a bout is always the one to call for a rematch.
A day earlier, he had said, “I just don’t know,” to the question of whether he would meet Harris for another debate. Some Republicans, including the No. 2 GOP Senator John Thune, have urged Trump to debate against Harris again.
While he could still change his mind, his announcement means that Tuesday’s meeting will likely be the only time voters will see the two debate each other before the November election. More than 67 million people watched the Trump-Harris debate.
Harris, the Democratic nominee, said during a rally in North Carolina on Thursday she believes that she and the former president “owe it to voters” to debate again. Meanwhile, her campaign revealed that it had raised $47 million from nearly 600,000 donors in the 24 hours after her Tuesday debate against Trump.
“This historic, 24-hour haul reflects a strong and growing coalition of Americans united behind Vice President Harris’ candidacy that knows the stakes this November, and are doing their part to defeat Donald Trump this November,” campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon said.
The Tuesday debate was the first time that Trump and Harris had met, and the vice president largely controlled the tenor, goading Trump into agitated responses that contained exaggerations and mistruths. It came two months after Trump’s debate against Biden, whose unsteady performance and meandering answers led him to end his reelection bid and endorse Harris as his replacement on the ticket.
Trump raised doubts earlier in the campaign as to whether he would debate Harris at all. The two eventually agreed on the Tuesday debate on ABC.
Trump called Harris a “no-show” for a debate date that had been proposed earlier this month. Instead of an event with Harris, Trump ended up going on Fox News for a solo town hall with host Sean Hannity.
Fox News has issued invitations to both campaigns for a debate in October.
___
Associated Press writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (6278)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Biden restarts immigration program for 4 countries with more vetting for sponsors
- How Artem Chigvintsev Celebrated Nikki Garcia Wedding Anniversary 3 Days Before Arrest
- California lawmakers pass bill that could make undocumented immigrants eligible for home loans
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Good Luck Charlie Star Mia Talerico Is All Grown Up in High School Sophomore Year Photo
- Why Tarek El Moussa Gave a “Shoutout” to Botox on His 43rd Birthday
- If you buy Sammy Hagar's Ferrari, you may be invited to party too: 'Bring your passport'
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Leah Remini and Husband Angelo Pagán Break Up After 21 Years of Marriage
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 'A good, kind soul': Friends remember murdered Florida fraternity brother as execution nears
- Julianne Hough Addresses Sexuality 5 Years After Coming Out as Not Straight
- Darlington honors the late Cale Yarborough at his hometown track where he won five Southern 500s
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- If you buy Sammy Hagar's Ferrari, you may be invited to party too: 'Bring your passport'
- NFL roster cut deadline winners, losers: Tough breaks for notable names
- Tell Me Lies Costars Grace Van Patten and Jackson White Confirm They’re Dating IRL
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Wells Fargo employee found dead at office desk four days after clocking in
Powerball winning numbers for August 28: Jackpot rises to $54 million
Police fatally shoot man, then find dead child in his car on Piscataqua River Bridge
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
What is EEE? See symptoms, map of cases after death reported in New Hampshire
What Happened to Julianne Hough’s Dogs? Everything to Know About Lexi and Harley
Horoscopes Today, August 29, 2024