Current:Home > FinanceJonathan Taylor refutes reports that he suffered back injury away from Indianapolis Colts -GrowthInsight
Jonathan Taylor refutes reports that he suffered back injury away from Indianapolis Colts
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:37:30
Indianapolis Colts running back Jonathan Taylor issued a stark rebuttal Sunday night to reports that he’d suffered a back injury working out while away from the team this offseason, an injury that could lead to the Colts placing him on the non-football injury list.
If placed on NFI, the Colts could withhold Taylor’s pay under the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement.
Taylor, who has not spoken publicly about his desire for a contract extension since mid-June and hasn’t been available to the media since training camp began, broke his silence in response to the report.
“1) Never had a back pain,” Taylor wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. “2.) Never reported back pain. … Not sure who ‘sources’ are, but find new ones.”
Taylor reported to training camp Tuesday and was placed on the active/physically unable to perform list, a designation for players who suffered an injury while playing, practicing or training with their teams.
Players on the PUP list still get paid.
A player on the NFI list is “not entitled to receive his salary, and his contract will continue to run while in such status,” according to the NFL. “That said, the team and player can negotiate a rate of payment for the player on this list.”
ESPN reported Sunday that Taylor had suffered a back injury while working out away from the team this offseason, and that the Colts were contemplating moving the running back to NFI, a decision that would be a significant escalation in the increasingly tense standoff between Taylor and the team over the state of his contract.
OPINION:Jonathan Taylor joins Andrew Luck, Victor Oladipo as star athletes receiving bad advice
Taylor is headed into the final year of his rookie contract, and NFL teams typically try to extend key players before that final season begins. Indianapolis has extended several other drafted stars before the final season of their rookie contracts started in recent years, including left guard Quenton Nelson, linebacker Shaquille Leonard, right tackle Braden Smith, center Ryan Kelly and another running back, former Colt Nyheim Hines.
But Colts owner Jim Irsay has made it clear this week that the team does not plan to sign Taylor until after the season, and the team has not entered contract negotiations with the running back who has rushed for 3,841 yards and 33 touchdowns in his first three seasons with the team.
Taylor responded by requesting a trade last week.
The two men met Saturday night in Irsay’s bus while the rest of the team practiced, but no resolution to the situation was reached, and news of Taylor’s trade request broke shortly after the end of Irsay’s comments to reporters. With news of Taylor’s trade request public, Irsay responded by stating that the Colts would not trade Taylor, either now or in October.
veryGood! (59484)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Horoscopes Today, March 21, 2024
- No charges to be filed in fight involving Oklahoma nonbinary teen Nex Benedict, prosecutor says
- Shania Twain Responds to Lukas Gage Apologizing for Wasting Her Time With Chris Appleton Wedding
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Alabama woman who faked kidnapping pleads guilty to false reporting
- Georgia lawmakers advance bills targeting immigrant-friendly policies
- More than 440,000 Starbucks mugs recalled after reports of injuries from overheating and breakage
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Beyoncé to be honored with Innovator Award at the 2024 iHeartRadio Music Awards
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Family member arraigned in fatal shooting of Michigan congressman’s brother
- Trump could score $3.5 billion from Truth Social going public. But tapping the money may be tricky.
- Can’t Fall Asleep? This Cooling Body Pillow Is Only $28 During Amazon’s Big Spring Sale
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Tennessee just became the first state to protect musicians and other artists against AI
- How much money did Shohei Ohtani's interpreter earn before being fired?
- Trump's campaign, fundraising arms spent over $10 million on legal fees in 2024, as Biden spends on ads, new staff
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
US Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas says Texas immigration law is unconstitutional
Michael Strahan's Daughter Isabella Shares Update On Chemotherapy Timeline Amid Cancer Battle
Top 5 most popular dog breeds of 2023 in America: Guess which is No. 1?
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
No charges will be filed in nonbinary teen Nex Benedict's death, Oklahoma district attorney says
Quoting Dr. Seuss, ‘Just go, Go, GO!’ federal judge dismisses Blagojevich political comeback suit
Lawrence County Superintendent Robbie Fletcher selected as Kentucky’s next education commissioner