Current:Home > FinanceMark Zuckerberg Accepts Elon Musk’s Challenge to a Cage Fight -GrowthInsight
Mark Zuckerberg Accepts Elon Musk’s Challenge to a Cage Fight
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:29:24
It looks like this beef might actually make if off the internet and into the ring.
Mark Zuckerberg has seemingly accepted a challenge from Elon Musk to face off in a cage match. This unlikely matchup is the result of rising tensions between the two CEOs as news broke that Meta has begun to create a product that could compete with Twitter, which Musk finalized his purchase of in October 2022.
This showdown originated when a Twitter user seemed to poke fun at Zuckerberg's jiu jitsu videos on Instagram, warning Musk that he "better be careful," to which the 51-year-old replied, "I'm up for a cage match if he is lol."
And what might have started as a joke became much more serious when Zuckerberg posted a screenshot of Musk's challenge to his June 21 Instagram Story with the caption, "Send Me Location." The 39-year-old's story also included a reply to Musk's proposal that read, "Lol I love you Elon but you better start training."
And despite this matchup being on nobody's 2023 bingo card, it looks like it might really be happening. When news broke of Zuckerberg's acceptance, the SpaceX founder tweeted a proposed location for the physical confrontation. Musk simply said, "Vegas Octagon."
Meta previously confirmed to CNBC that it was "exploring a standalone decentralized social network for sharing text updates," which is reportedly now in consideration to be named Threads.
The app will be integrated into Instagram, allowing Meta to build off its preexisting user base. Per CNBC, a top Meta executive said that high-profile users, including celebrities and content creators, were looking for a "sanely run" platform. This comment comes after months of controversies that have plagued Twitter since Musk took over. This includes implementing a completely free speech policy, which caused many advertisers to leave the platform over concerns that it would allow users to post racist, sexist, or otherwise hateful speech without consequence.
The details of Meta's proposed Thread platform comes only weeks after Musk officially stepped down as Twitter's CEO.
The Tesla CEO, who officially took over the social media platform back in October in a $44 billion deal, announced that ad exec Linda Yaccarino will now be at the helm of the company in May 2023.
"@LindaYacc will focus primarily on business operations, while I focus on product design & new technology," he tweeted May 12. "Looking forward to working with Linda to transform this platform into X, the everything app."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (4682)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Virginia to close 4 correctional facilites, assume control of state’s only privately operated prison
- NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week
- NCAA, states seek to extend restraining order letting transfer athletes play through the spring
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Tennessee Titans waiving Teair Tart, but defensive tackle says he requested his release
- What econ says in the shadows
- Tipping fatigue exists, but come on, it’s the holidays: Here’s how much to tip, more to know
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Michigan woman found guilty of murder and child abuse in starvation death of son
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- How Eagles' Christmas album morphed from wild idea to hit record
- Voter apathy and concerns about violence mark Iraqi’s first provincial elections in a decade
- Don't underestimate the power of Dad TV: 'Reacher' is the genre at its best
- 'Most Whopper
- Dramatic life change for Tourette syndrome teen after deep brain stimulator implanted
- Court denies review of Pac-12 appeal, handing league control to Oregon State, Washington State
- NCAA, states seek to extend restraining order letting transfer athletes play through the spring
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Judge rejects conservative challenge to new Minnesota law restoring felons’ voting rights
UNC-Chapel Hill names former state budget director as interim chancellor
Will cars in the future be equipped with devices to prevent drunk driving? What we know.
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Q&A: The Sort of ‘Breakthrough’ Moment Came in Dubai When the Nations of the World Agreed to Transition Away From Fossil Fuels
Teen plotted with another person to shoot up, burn down Ohio synagogue, sheriff says
What’s streaming now: ‘Barbie,’ Taylor Swift in your home, Cody Johnson and the return of ‘Reacher’