Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin apologizes for keeping hospitalization secret -GrowthInsight
Rekubit-Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin apologizes for keeping hospitalization secret
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 14:29:44
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin apologized for keeping his recent hospitalization hidden from the White House and Rekubitthe American people.
"We did not handle this right. I did not handle this right," he told reporters Thursday in his first news conference since his secret hospitalization and since the deadly drone attack in Jordan that killed three American soldiers.
He said he was proud of the work the Defense Department has done, "but we fell short on this one," and he added he apologized directly to President Biden, who, he said received his apology with the "grace and warm heart that anyone who knows President Biden would expect." He also said he never directed any of his staff to hide his hospitalization.
Austin, who said he is still experiencing some leg pain and is for now using a golf cart to move around inside the Pentagon, said that his prostate cancer diagnosis "was a gut punch." "The news shook me, and I know that it shakes so many others, especially in the Black community," he admitted to reporters.
He admitted "my first instinct was to keep it private," adding he doesn't like "to burden others," but he conceded that his role in the administration means "losing some of the privacy most of us expect." A "wider circle should have been notified," he said, especially the president. He noted that the Pentagon is conducting an internal review, and there is also an ongoing inspector general review.
On Sunday, Austin issued a statement in response to their deaths by warning the U.S. "will respond at a time and place of our choosing." CBS News has learned that plans have been approved for a series of retaliatory strikes in Iraq or Syria potentially over several days.
In the news conference Thursday, Austin also fielded questions about the drone attack and how the the U.S. intends to respond. He said, "This is a dangerous moment in the Middle East" and reiterated that the U.S. will respond when and where it chooses. Austin says the response would be "multi-tiered."
"It's time to take away even more capability than we've taken in the past," Austin said.
Austin was released from the hospital on Jan. 15 and returned to work in person at the Pentagon on Monday. He was hospitalized on New Year's Day, following complications from a recent surgery to treat and cure prostate cancer. Neither Austin nor his staff informed the White House or the public for several days that he had been hospitalized and spent time in the ICU.
In a written statement, he took "full responsibility" for decisions made about disclosing his health, but Thursday is his first opportunity to tell the public why he made those decisions.
- In:
- Jordan
- Lloyd Austin
- Live Streaming
Eleanor Watson is a CBS News reporter covering the Pentagon.
TwitterveryGood! (2)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Kim Kardashian, Kendall Jenner and More of Kris Jenner's Kids React After Her Tumor Diagnosis
- As Hurricane Beryl tears through Caribbean, a drone sends back stunning footage
- GloRilla Reveals “Wildly Hypocritical” DM From Rihanna
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Abortion on the ballot: Amarillo set to vote on abortion travel ban this election
- Copa America 2024: Knockout stage bracket is set
- LA's newest star Puka Nacua prepares for encore of record rookie season
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Is the stock market open or closed on July 4th 2024? See full holiday schedule
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Takeru Kobayashi isn't at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
- Taiwan demands release of fishing vessel it says was seized by China's coast guard
- United Airlines texts customers live radar maps during weather delays
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- 30th annual Essence Festival of Culture kicks off in New Orleans
- GM fined nearly $146 million for excess emissions from 5.9 million vehicles
- New state climatologist for Louisiana warns of a ‘very active’ hurricane season
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Two women dead, 3 children critically injured in early morning July Fourth Chicago shooting
2 more people charged with conspiring to bribe Minnesota juror with a bag of cash plead not guilty
Two women dead, 3 children critically injured in early morning July Fourth Chicago shooting
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Hurricane Beryl roars toward Mexico after killing at least 7 people in the southeast Caribbean
About the security and return rate of LANDUN FINANCIAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE LTD platform
30th annual Essence Festival of Culture kicks off in New Orleans