Current:Home > ContactEthermac Exchange-Flowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school -GrowthInsight
Ethermac Exchange-Flowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 13:15:56
BELGRADE,Ethermac Exchange Serbia (AP) — Hundreds of people laid flowers and lit candles on Friday to commemorate the victims of Serbia’s first-ever school shooting a year ago that left nine children and a school guard dead and six people wounded.
A somber, silent queue formed on a rainy day outside the Vladislav Ribnikar Elementary School in central Belgrade where a 13-year-old boy is accused of opening fire at his schoolmates with his father’s guns last year.
The shooting stunned Serbia. The Balkan nation was no stranger to violent crime, but mass shootings are rare, and none had taken place at a school before.
Just a day later, a shooting rampage outside the capital further shocked the country. A 20-year-old man was accused of killing nine and wounding 12 others, mostly young people.
Friday’s vigil formally started at 8:41 a.m., the time of the school shooting last year. Serbian television stations interrupted their broadcasts, showing the text “We remember” on a black screen.
The all-day event near the school also included art installations, a panel discussion and short films about the victims. The street where the school is located is closed to traffic.
The event was titled “Awakening,” a call for introspection in a nation that is yet to come to terms with its role in multiple wars in the 1990s and the culture of violence that has prevailed ever since.
Ninela Radicevic, a mother of a victim, told The Associated Press ahead of the anniversary that society and the government had “rushed to forget” the tragedy. Radicevic, who lost her 11-year-old daughter Ana Bozovic in the shooting, said she hoped Serbia can prevent such a horrific crime from happening again.
“We have missed many chances to react better... (but) I think it is never too late to pause ... and to try not to make the same mistakes in the future,” said psychology professor Aleksandar Baucal, who is part of a team behind the commemoration.
The slain children’s parents have fought to have the school closed and turned into a memorial center. They’ve organized protests, remembrance events and testified about their ordeal to promote awareness among the public.
Serbia’s populist government launched a gun crackdown after the shooting, collecting about 80,000 weapons and rounds of ammunition. State-backed support teams offered counseling and police officers were deployed outside schools for security.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said on Instagram after paying respects Friday that the “unthinkable tragedy has left a permanent scar on the soul of our entire nation.”
Suspects in both of the shootings were apprehended. The alleged school shooter’s parents went on trial in January, charged with teaching their underage son to shoot and with not securing the weapons at the family home. The trial is continuing. The boy has been held in an institution since the attack.
The trial of the other suspect and his father is to start later this month in the central town of Smederevo.
Shock and anger because of the shootings triggered months of street protests demanding the resignations of top officials and a ban on media that spew hate speech and intolerance.
veryGood! (217)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Met Gala 2023: Pregnant Serena Williams Announces She's Expecting Baby No. 2 With Alexis Ohanian
- See Adele Cry Over Her Divorce and James Corden's Friendship in Final Carpool Karaoke Ever
- Tom Pelphrey Shares How He and Kaley Cuoco Stayed Connected to Baby Girl During Date Night
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Sydney Sweeney Reveals Her Nickname for Co-Star Glen Powell
- The EPA's watchdog is warning about oversight for billions in new climate spending
- Nicola and Brooklyn Peltz Beckham Are Perfectly Posh at Met Gala 2023
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Sydney Sweeney Reveals Her Nickname for Co-Star Glen Powell
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- The Hunger Games' Alexander Ludwig Celebrates 5 Years of Sobriety in Moving Self-Love Message
- Vanderpump Rules Couples Status Check: See Who's Still Together
- Nordstrom 75% Off Shoe Deals: Tory Burch, Katy Perry, Nike, Dolce Vita, BCBG, and More
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Pregnant Meghan Trainor Apologizes for Controversial F--k Teachers Comment
- Harry Potter's Bonnie Wright Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Andrew Lococo
- Today’s Climate: April 19, 2010
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Pedro Pascal Shows Us the Way to Wear Shorts on Red Carpet at Met Gala 2023
Pregnant Meghan Trainor Apologizes for Controversial F--k Teachers Comment
The latest to be evacuated from California's floods? Bunnies
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Grown Up Princess Charlotte Looks Just Like Mom Kate Middleton in 8th Birthday Portrait
Lea Michele Hits a High Note During First Met Gala Appearance in 9 Years
Shocked and Saddened Maury Povich Pays Tribute to Jerry Springer After His Death